Menu
phil-wilkinson
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband M100 upload speed very slow in the day.

Hi, my virgin media upload speed is very slow in the day, less that 2Mbps often, then in the evenings goes up to a more expected 8-10Mbps. I'm on M100 fiber broadband. Virgin reports everything normal. Haven't been able to speak to a human at Virgin, this has been going on for weeks and the've just put the prices up! I've been through the virgin fault diagnostics several times - nothing, reset modem - no improvment. I don't think its a problem my end as it does get better in the evening.

phil-wilkinson_0-1612262391484.png

Is this the new normal for virgin media?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband M100 upload speed very slow in the day.

This will be due to the working from home and virtual classrooms unfortunately.

Not much that can be done in the short term unfortunately.

My connections also show same issues.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
phil-wilkinson
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for your reply, if it is a contention issue, why is the download speed unaffected? (I dont think school homeworking is much broadcasting (i.e uploading video all the time, with zoom, teams, etc..)

And is there anyway i can find out if my local virgin upload capacity is being maxed out. Instead of virgin saying everything is normal on its service status for my broadband, wouldn't it be better if it could have a status of "Busy - upload speed less than optimum".

Also if my M100 package is getting throttled down to 0.2 mbps, if i were on M200 would it follow at the same time i would be getting 0.4 mbps?

I really need to speak to someone at Virgin, but thats been proving impossible for me over the last few weeks!

Regards,
Phil.

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin seem to be having problems with upstream capacity during office hours in some areas. On cable networks like Virgin, the pool of upstream bandwidth is much smaller than downstream and can be maxed out if a lot of people in an area are uploading at the same time (video calls, uploading files for work etc). Upgrading won't double your speed from 0.2 to 0.4, save yourself the money.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So upload on Virgin Media (DOCSIS connections) is very limited compared to download, so while download appears as unaffected may well be at higher speeds.

Google classroom service is up to 3.2mbps upload, more if your the teacher. other conference calls will be about the same too, so 2x people working from same home will cause M100 to struggle on its own and multiply this by about 10-20 households and local areas upstream bandwidth will be pretty saturated, plus everybody seems to be on a video call of some sort these days all the time.

Unfortunately these issues not definitely classified as issues on Virgin as they happen on and off constantly across the network depending on what users are doing.

Changing package will not resolve this, everyone shares the connections on a 'best effort' basis'

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@phil-wilkinsontry doing some tests during lunch break hour 1300 - 1400 I noticed yesterday that upload improved during this hour and then  just behind 2pm it went unstable again.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's possible that it's overutilisation. but it's also possible that there are other causes..might as well try to rule those in or out.. 

can you post the upstream/downstream and network logs please

browse to http://192.168.0.1 and don't log in - click on "Router Status" - copy the tables from the Upstream, Downstream and Network Log tabs back to this thread - you will need more than one post..

also, it's worth setting up a BQM that will graph the performance of your connection over time.. 

0 Kudos