cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Keeps Dropping Out

stefan9107
Tuning in

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help out with an issue I've been having. Since the 8th of April I've been getting intermittent issues where my broadband is "dropping out".

It materialises in the form of a massive latency spike/packet loss that lasts for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. A quick speed test (which takes forever to start) will show me at 1 or less mb when I normally get about 370. It then immediately goes back up to full speed afterwards. How often this happens varies, but I'd say it's at least four or five times a day that I notice, sometimes several times in quick succession.

I should mention I'm running the router in modem mode. 

It all started with this on the 8th of April:

stefan9107_1-1650378317654.png

Followed by this on the 10th...

stefan9107_2-1650378331376.png

And now the average day looks like this:

stefan9107_3-1650378341090.png

Or today like this:

stefan9107_0-1650378305206.png

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

stefan9107
Tuning in

Images above now fixed.

That article doesn't reveal much as Virgin just claim it was an issue with think broadband and that its fixed. I've actually experienced the issue at my level so its not just thinkbroadband reporting.

Virgin are clearly in denial of there being an issue. Maybe the time to switch over to cityfibre giga broadband has come. Its practically half the price and double the speed, just couldn't be **bleep** with the hassle before.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi stefan9107, 

Thank you for your post. 

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been faced with here. Is it possible you could provide me with your live BQM link? Is there any difference to this when you are in router mode rather than modem mode? Let me know. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Interesting... I've always got EMCO Ping Monitor running on my desktop. So looked at last 24 hour. Distinctly worse 4pm and 7pm yesterday. This is ping trace of www.bbc.co.uk:

AVUSOv6[1].png

Hi Ryan. There is no difference between modem mode or router mode. 

BQM link:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8a2568f490955acc68689332645cd374f8...

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @stefan9107,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see you have some issues with your broadband.

I have checked our system, I can not see any outages or area issues causing any drop outs.

Also everything is within spec on your equipment, have you tried making sure all the wires are connected securely? Also using our connect app? This helps with finding any black spots within the home and trying to help you resolve it.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide