Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Broad band speed suddenly slow

I have had virgin broadband for years and all or a sudden my speed has plummeted. I am paying for 250mb and I am getting about 35. When I run the test online it says I have a network issue and to check cables. I have done all this but still the same.

I don't have a pc to do the downstream tests etc can someone please organise an engineer to come out and help me sort this

Screenshot_20200717-072031.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broad band speed suddenly slow

what speed do you get on a wired device

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I dont have any wired devices, only wifi devices

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

testing speeds via wifi is never good - too many things can change - the only true test is wired but start with posting the levels - if all is ok then that would suggest the problem is wifi and you can look at that 

what has actually happened to the speeds - are you testing using the same device - have you changed anything - reset the hub for example - which hub do you have

unless there is a proven fault a tech will not come out to sort bad wifi

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have changed nothing, i watch a lot of you tube via my samsung TV (yes actually that is hard wireed but would have no idea how to do that test on it that you said) and i noticed its buffering all of a sudden.

I ran a speed test on my phone, i do this almot weekly and have always got at least speeds of 200+, never failed, but now im getting 35 max and its not stable, ie it goes up to 50, then straight down to 5, then up to 35, then down etc etc, but averages out around 35.

I have tested this on my tablet, phone etc and still the same.

I have chqnged nothing, the router has not moved in years, i have a super hub 2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ok post the levels

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and post the downstream and upstream figures

wifi is a moving target so to speak - changes can happen around you - other routers that can degrade your signal - it may be that - download a wifi anaaliser - inSSIDER for a pc - there are similar on mobile - look at what other wifi networks are around you and the channels they us - choose on that is not busy

but first the levels from the hub

if you ring it in hey are likely to change the hub to a hub3 - thats first thing they do - it might help but in truth the wifi is no better - some say worse than the 2 assuming yours is not faulty which i would doubt - they work or not usually - if they work its all about signal and whats around you

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do i log into the superhub? im confused..i have a samsung tv not a pc !

Yes it has a browser but there is no way i would know how to copy and paste from it using the remote

I do aprreciate your help but i really just need an engineer to look at it.

Thanks again though

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

log in from your browser on a phone or tablet - grab the screen shots and post them here

you will only get a tech out if there is a problem with the BB - at this moment you have shown you have a wifi problem - thats not the same - no isp guarantee wifi - solving problems with that is up to you

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ahhh ok sorry mate i thought you had to be hard wired to get the data, i will post the screen shots when i get home.

0 Kudos