Menu
Hammer82
Joining in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Booster/new router

Hello everyone

Ive just joined virgin media for just the broadband as was with sky and was terrible 

I’ve got hub 3 the 500 package 

my little boys room more or less gets no internet.done the dead spot thing and comes up poor optimised the hub and still the same 

is it better to get a booster (which one) heard of people getting another router have no idea what to do 

got 4 kids that all play on the computers and iPads

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Booster/new router

You can either buy a 3rd party router, a mesh kit or a booster/Pod for £5 a month from Virgin. For Mesh kits most people have been recommending the https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m3/ however I've never used it to be able to say how good it is but other community members seem to hold it to some form of high regard, in terms of routers the only thing I would really say is look at TP-Link, ASUS or Netgear as those 3 are fairly recommended and reliable, I myself have a Netgear r7800 Nighthawk which is fairly old but still seems to be handling WiFi coverage without issues.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
SonarUK
Rising star
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

read this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-4-wifi-coverage/td-p/4640758

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Vivid 350 | Hub 3 modem mode | Asus RT-AC86U (Stock-Firmware)
0 Kudos
Hammer82
Joining in
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

that’s what I’m stuck on 

virgin did say if still getting trouble with no connection in my little boys room is to ring back Monday or Tuesday 

don’t know if to get booster or new router 

Anyone got any reviews on the booster do they actually works liking at prices of of them compared to a router ?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

if by booster you mean the new pod then yes they help but they will cost you £5 a month for ever or as long as you stay with VM - if and when you leave they will not work with any other system - i assume you would have to send them back

so do the maths £5 a month against an outlay for something that you keep and can use with any other isp

mesh systems are the new tech - many and varied at different price points - simple to set up and they work - choice is yours from £100 ish to a few hundred - not recommending but have just fitted a Netgear Orbi - certainly not the cheapest but am 100% impressed

Tony
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

VM now offer "wifi pods" rather than the old boosters.  The pods are better, but not as good as a standalone mesh wireless system (I'm using a TP-LInk Deco M4, that's been first class).  If you get the pods free with your package they're well worth a try, although there's been some supply chain issues, and you might have to wait a few weeks to get them.

If you pay to rent them, then you'd have to be bad at maths, because the £5 a month for a single pod means that in eighteen months you'd have spent the same as buying outright a superior three-unit mesh system.  As a guide any TP-Link or Tenda Nova mesh system is good value and effective for around £90-130, but make sure you avoid the cheapo units such as the TP-Link Deco E4 or or Tenda Nova MW3, because those are hobbled by a slow 100 Mbps connection between the hub and the mesh system.  Unless that is, you're on a 100 Mbps contract and firmly have no plans to upgrade in future, in which case they can be a bargain.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-compatibility-with-Mesh-systems/m-p...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

To throw another option in the mix, the last few years I've been using the ASUS AC86U (downstairs) with my old AC68U as a mesh node via wireless backhaul (upstairs). The AC86U is essentially the ASUS equivalent of Netgear's R7800 that was mentioned earlier. Both have a good reputation from what I've seen.

We're on the 200/20 service and I can max out the connection on the 5 GHz band with the AC86U, so if you go for a new router, I would look at ones that are at least the spec of the AC86U, or higher. It's also worth noting, there are many factors that influence the performance between a router and its client devices.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
Hammer82
Joining in
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I’ve reset the hub today as got no internet in 2 bedrooms now the back 2 

so moved the hub onto of cupboard see if that made any difference at all 

Our sky hub was in the same place but could reach the whole house but speeds was poor 

So what would people recommend to do as only had virgin for 3 days and it’s getting worse 

Am really stuck on what to do about boosters or a new router 

Would  it be best to get booster so I can plug in the rooms or better to get a hub but will that give me internet in the 2 rooms that are lacking internet 

What boosters are best ?

and what routers are best ? 

im not clued up with all this internet boosters and routers I just plug stuff in hope it works ha ha 

kids are driving me crazy coz there computers Lee cutting off grrr

Appreciate all the comments 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

do you still have your sky hub - it may be possible to set that up to use as an access point

Tony
0 Kudos
Hammer82
Joining in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I still have my old sky router 

ain’t got a clue how to connect the sky one to it tho 

0 Kudos