Menu
Rich99
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bitorrent throttling entire network, unless I use a VPN

Hi, for the last few months I've been having a consistent issue whereby when I download a torrent, it starts fine (28mbps), but then drops to a crawl (20kbps up/down), and stays that way with the occasional blip of higher speed. When it does this, the entire internet connection also slows to a crawl (i.e. internal traffic is fine, but essentially all external traffic stops). If I stop the torrent, the network comes back fine.

I've got a superhub 3 in modern mode with a high end Linksys router (the superhub wouldn't work for more than a week without needing rebooting).

If I connect with a VPN, the problem goes away, which pretty much rules out anything at my end.

Searching the forums shows a number of other people with exactly the same issue, and they just get replies saying that virgin doesn't throttle. I've yet to see a post with a solution. Has anyone had this problem, and got to the bottom of what's going on? I don't know if virgin are intentionally throttling, but their network clearly can't cope with something to do with bitorrent!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bitorrent throttling entire network, unless I use a VPN

But are you maxing out your speed by VPN with torrent?

Do some QoS on your router -10Mb of your download speed and -0.9Mb of your upload speed then run torrent.

Its possible even with the hub in modem mode that the hub 3 can't handle many connections luckily the SH1 don't have any problems with torrent and even if I asked for a new hub and find it is a problem VM will not take a blind bit of notice.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Rich99
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In all cases I've got speed (for both upload and download) set to below max. The 'throttled' speed is essentially zero, so it's not because I'm maxing out any bandwidth.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many ISPs hate torrenting and similar P2P, partly because it hogs bandwidth, partly fear of liability for intellectual property infringement, so either way they'll be in no hurry to resolve an issue that affects an absolute minority of customers, generates no additional revenue, consumes bandwidth, and has that bogeyman of copyright risk.

VM almost certainly aren't throttling locally, but may well be load balancing on their data centres and routing, which could dramatically slow down torrent traffic (and they'll think "oh dear, how sad, never mind"), and if your torrent client doesn't handle the delays from that well, then potentially that's why all other internet traffic is slowed down.  There's a way of partially testing that, of running tests at different times of day - any load balancing probably won't be hindering traffic between say 5am and 7am.

But regardless, if you want to torrent, you've already found your first solution, which is a VPN, the alternative is to find a different ISP.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rich99
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'm sure you're right, but it does seem like there's a genuine technical issue, so it seemed worth raising it. I hadn't considered that the problem could be the way that the client interacts with traffic shaping at the data centre, it seems like a bit of a stretch that that could take out the entire internet connection, but I've not been able to come up with anything better!

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Probably overwhelming the CPU on the SH3.

When using a VPN it would only see the one connection. Without it'll be however many you're allowing your client to create. 

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Rich99,

Welcome to back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you are having issues when torrenting. We can understand the frustration caused by this. 

I have been able to access your account using your forum details and everything looks fine back end regarding your service. Did you find the advice given by our community useful? Is the issue ongoing since posting?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Rich99
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, the advice is appreciated, but doesn't really solve the issue - the advice is simply that Virgin is rubbish, and I have to live with it! And yes, the issue is ongoing.

0 Kudos