Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Best use of Ethernet Cable?

Hi All

I’m just wandering for those who are much more tech minded, how are you best using Ethernet cables to provide consistent speeds etc? 

Are you running from hub to family TV for streaming, or to another specific device? 

I have Apple TV which I use for streaming Netflix etc but just want to make sure I’m optimising speed and quality of service when streaming etc.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best use of Ethernet Cable?

Simple answer.  Any device I have with an ethernet port is cabled.  WiFi is only for portable kit, e.g. mobile phone etc.  I would not have it any other way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I will second Adduxi.

If you need more connections look at getting a >>simple switch << to ad more ethernet ports to the LAN.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unless you have an ATV 4K your Ethernet port is limited to 100Mbps - which should be adequate. If you need more speed use WiFi (the 5GHz band is faster than the 2.4GHz band if all devices are in the same room).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Apple TV recommend 40mb for “their” 4K and Netflix recommend 25, so even 100mb port is more than enough for streaming. AFAIK my 4K Fire only runs 100mb port but streams 4K content without a hitch. 

0 Kudos