Menu
AnotherGully
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Being throttled, but VM won't admit it

Hi all,

After speaking to technical support and somebody on VM's Twitter, I've now been guided here.

I have a 200mbs package, but I have now been getting between 40 and 60mbs, but still 20mbs up. There was an occasion where I had to change bank account and despite notifying VM twice for the direct debit, they didn't do this leaving me in a late payment scenario and I could understand my speed being throttled for that.

I then told the tech support guy this, he insisted it was due to the CAT5 cable running from a TP link to a 2nd PC in the house. This PC isn't the issue and it isn't what I'm testing it on. I then tested my main PC and WiFi (wired and wireless respectively) getting the same result. He wasn't having any of it, and only sending me a CAT6 cable would save me.

I got the cable, plugged it in, and would you believe it, it's still exactly the same.

I tried to log a complaint but the page errors on three browsers I tried (Firefox, Chrome, Brave) so I had to take it to Twitter. They just sent me here to continue.

So...here we are.

I mean, I really think that I'm due some refund since the account is completely paid up and none of the payment issue was my fault and I'm only getting 25% of the service I'm paying for.

No idea what to do at this point as the help channels from VM all seem to want to just pass you on.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Being throttled, but VM won't admit it

Are you sure the cable is ok ?

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you need to test speeds directly this way.... that's on a goo ethernet cable (Cat5e or better) connected to a GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub put in modem mode (easy - see website).
Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.
There are many posts on here where unknown software, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.
---

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
AnotherGully
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, but I am sure the cables are all fine. The speed is consistant for both wired and wireless connections across a Desktop PC (wired), Laptop (wired and wireless) and a mobile phone (wireless)

Tried using 3 different speed tests across the three browsers mentioned. I've also checked the speeds between router and device, and the connection speed separately. I'm getting what would be allowed via my ethernet setup to the hub itself, the problem is the speed the hub connects to the outside.

Edit: Also, I've noticed you're copy and pasting that response in a lot of threads which kind of suggests you're not really considering the full issue. I really only posted this because, according to customer services, I have to in order to get further with the help I think tech support should have offered in the first place rather than rushing me off the phone to send me a Cat6 cable...which I have a whole box of.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is a community forum.

You can either follow the advice given by us here or not.

To suggest to someone that they’re just copying and pasting responses and not looking at the issues is quite frankly rude and condescending.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@AnotherGully wrote:

No idea what to do at this point as the help channels from VM all seem to want to just pass you on.

well the very least you could do is post your hub stats, without that anyone is just guessing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@AnotherGully wrote:

Edit: Also, I've noticed you're copy and pasting that response in a lot of threads which kind of suggests you're not really considering the full issue.

I can assure you I considered the post and the response was pasted from my clipboard as I considered it to be the most appropriate way to start to pin down where the issue lays - more often than not it is down to people not appreciating how to do a speedtest correctly to verify what speed the Hub is receiving.  I would have gone on to ask whether you did this whilst booted into safe+networking mode (you haven't said) as I have a list of >20 threads where it's been proven that its software on the devices that is responsible - including Dell's "Smartbyte" - but those are more copy and pastes you wont want to see 😎

EDIT; Just after replying - I looked at the post below and got another to add to my "list" ... his issue was using the speedtest App on a Win10 device and getting ~200 - then tested on the website he got ~350

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Area-20-Slow-Speed/m-p/4317764#M234449

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos