cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been told 3rd party router is causing lower speeds?

roper22
Joining in

I contacted Virgin on Friday and today reporting slower speeds than gigabit. Using my Archer C80 my wifi will barely breach 450mbps and Ethernet is about 700mbps or so. With the Hub 5 I get 600-850mbps wifi (unsure on Ethernet atm but I assume equal to or better than 700mbps)

The Archer C80 is supposedly a good gigabit router and I’ve been using it for a year or two on M125, M250 and M350 packages without issue.

VM have told me that using a 3rd party router will mean I’ll never hit the advertised speeds, is this true or is it worth my buying a better router than the Archer C80? I hate the Hub for its lack of customisation and in depth features so don’t want to use it, but also don’t want to be getting significantly slower speeds.

4 REPLIES 4

Client62
Legend

The C80 lacks AX Wi-Fi and lacks  a 2.5Gb/s network port both are on the Hub 5.  
VM's advice was fair, it is less speedy than the Hub 5 and the Gig1 service.
But once meaningless speed tests are set aside and real work and TV streaming are considered the C80 no doubt works just fine.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To match the Hub 5 in modem mode, you would need to move to the Archer AX55 Pro

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ozsat
Superstar

You should be getting over 900Mbps on your own router via Ethernet.  On Wifi you'll not get much more than your are already getting.

Try adjusting some of the router settings - if it has QoS ensure it is switched off.

Have you checked https://samknows.com/realspeed/ to ensure you are getting 1Gbps?

@roper22 wrote:

I contacted Virgin on Friday and today reporting slower speeds than gigabit. Using my Archer C80 my wifi will barely breach 450mbps and Ethernet is about 700mbps or so. With the Hub 5 I get 600-850mbps wifi (unsure on Ethernet atm but I assume equal to or better than 700mbps)

The Archer C80 is supposedly a good gigabit router and I’ve been using it for a year or two on M125, M250 and M350 packages without issue.

VM have told me that using a 3rd party router will mean I’ll never hit the advertised speeds, is this true or is it worth my buying a better router than the Archer C80? I hate the Hub for its lack of customisation and in depth features so don’t want to use it, but also don’t want to be getting significantly slower speeds.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

test without a router and hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------