Menu
ilovecroagunk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Bad Upload Speed

I'm currently paying for the M350 Fibre Broadband package which advertises average download speeds of 362Mbps and average upload speeds of 21Mbps.

At the beginning of October my Upload speed started to drop every now and again. It was very patchy, and annoying. My job relies on Upload speed so obviously this is very concerning for me. Virgin sent an engineer but he came round when the internet was sitting at around normal speeds, told me there was no issue and left after running speedtests on 2 phones.

Come the end of October and my upload speed is unuseable. 99% of the time it sits at around 3-6mbps and has spotty moments of dropping to 1mbps and below. Today in particular I've had less than 1 upload for most of the day. I can't upload videos or files without it taking forever.

I've hard reset my router, tried switching to modem mode, tested with an ethernet cable on 2 PCs and received the same results on Upload speed, and called Virgin a lot. In the end they simply told me that they do not guarantee Upload speed, and since my Download is fine they won't do anything about this. They sent me a deadlock letter you can see here. Note that it says "no identified issues on the equipment" which is a lie because the engineer that came around before didn't check or test the router.

Is there anything I can do here? I really need this issue fixed. There's another thread here about a guy with the same issue and it was eventually fixed by an engineer visit.

TL;DR: paying for 21mbps upload average, getting around 3-6, today I've had less than 1 all day, virgin say they don't guarantee upload so won't fix it.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad Upload Speed

Hello

Thank for joining in on the forum, we will try the best to get your issue resolved.

How are you doing the speedtest is it either wired or wireless, wired is always the best option. If wired can you please do the following :-

Can you please post your network stats from the hub
Open a Web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and enter the address http://192.168.0.1
Note: If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Hub 3.0 you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead.
Posting the stats by copy and paste will remove all personal information so no breaches.
Do not login but click on where it says "Check Router Stats" and then copy and post from the following 4 tabs, Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network logs (if they are pasted then all personal information is * out) and we can check your power level, also while you about that can you please go around and check that all connectors to VM equipment are hand tight. Also while doing this please check for any damage to cable, or un-terminated connection without either coax or a terminator.
Also please run "Check service status" at the top right of this forum and call 0800 561 0061 to check for local issues.
Also one think you can do is too signup at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and setup a broadband quality monitor which will keep an eye on you connection by sending a small amout of data to the hub asking if it still on.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi ilovecroagunk,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I'm sorry that you're experiencing issues with slower uploads then you'd expect. I can appreciate you're keen to get this fixed so you can do your job.

I've had a look at the backend of your services and I can see that there are multiple customers being affected by performance issues in your area. This has now been raised to our back office team for investigation and they will look to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Can you please keep an eye on your connection for the next few days, and let me know if you continue to have issues.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
ilovecroagunk
Tuning in
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hey,

I received a text two hours ago saying that the issues affecting me were fixed now. My upload seemed fixed for roughly an hour but now it's gone down to 0.1mbps again.

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Have you rebooted your equipment recently? ^AR

0 Kudos
ilovecroagunk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Yes I did it yesterday but I'm still having issues

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Evening ilovecroagunk, 

I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
hotshot666
Up to speed
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

I have the exact same issue.

I am on the 200Mbs service, but none the less the upload speed has dropped from a normal 20mps to often around the 1-2. It makes conference calls almost impossible. Voice is jumpy and video impossible.

When i eventually got through to Virgin, first tech person said and i quote "Virgin are not responsible for upload speeds". I politely asked which company i should contact if Virgin were not responsible. Needless to say i got no response, instead the guy started quoting clauses and terms from the contract.

I am a reasonable person, and recognise we live in exceptional times. I would happily accept a 50% reduction to 10mps upload. I might even be prepared to go to 75%, but losing 90-95% of my capability is simply unacceptable.

The front line staff when you can engage with them follow a moronic script, 99% of which is deflecting the issue back at the customer. How many devices have you got attached is their favourite. Regardless of if you say 1 or 99, the problem is always with you. When i point out that a device that is connected but actually switched off, like a smart TV or a laptop, bypasses any common sense they may have and they insist on your disconnecting them to solve the issue. Clearly this is designed to just make people give up.

I have flood wired ethernet throughout my house all plugged into a 1Gb netgear hub. I can literally disconnect 20 devices in 1 second. I got so frustrated on 1 call that is precisely what i did. Then I posed the killer question "so with no devices attached, why is my upload speed so poor". At that point they have hung up on me as their game has been found out.

This is the norm when dealing with the tech support, its always  YOUR problem

Another case they actually changed the firmware in my router. I verified and validated this. This was to roll out meshed networking, but in fact was just an attempt to sell people boosters for every room. The people i dealt with actually claimed about 6 differ phones, 4 smart TVs, multiple laptops and computers plus a food processor all developed at fault at 1 minute past midnight (the new firmware was roll out at midnight). when i challenged them at how ridiculous an idea it was that 20 devices all magically stopped working atbthe same time, they refused to accept the problem was a Virgin one.

the service is appalling

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi hotshot666,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you have been having issues with broadband upload speeds. Are you able to confirm if this is happening on wired or wireless connections? The way a device is connected to the hub can be a factor when it comes to speed performance. If it's possible, are you able to setup a singular wired connection and run a speed test from that connection?

Thanks,

Corey C

0 Kudos
hotshot666
Up to speed
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Connected using ethernet and a single device, the whole sorry saga explained above is still evident.

Sorry, but the issue is Virgin not having the capacity and infrastructure. 3 months ago i had 22mb. Same house, same equipment, same everything. Now 1-2 mb

0 Kudos