Menu
Grumpywhale
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

BT Now offering speeds same if not better will virgin match

In our area BT are now starting to advertise for their own version of Fibre To The Home, like virgin, but unlike virgin their upload speed is actually 10% or better than download so they offer 910down 110 up! virgin only offer a slow 50mb on their gigabit connection. How can this be right, 10% rule at least should apply. No reason it shouldnt be faster but why not at least match. otherwise as it comes allong why wouldnt we jump ship to BT.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT Now offering speeds same if not better will virgin match

No reason it shouldn’t be slower either in all fairness

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
appleaday
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I’ve actually done this, I’ve gone for FTTP 900 with BT and sky q

i can recommend 

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's a competitive market. Leave if it suits you.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@appleaday wrote:

I’ve actually done this, I’ve gone for FTTP 900 with BT and sky q

i can recommend 

For consumers options can only be a good thing.

Would you mind posting speed test results along with Thinkbroadband BQM graphs for comparison?

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You missed the part where BT use actual fibre and VM use Coax and stuff. Still the speeds are good. Some of us can't get BT FTTP but if you can then go for it. I know if I had the option I would. The more people that leave might mean the more chances VM will try and compete, Some say there is no need right now - but this might be the "need" that is needed. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

VM are starting to install FTTH. like bt its in limted places right now. I wont get it as BT won't even do FTTC to me
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The more people that leave might mean the more chances VM will try and compete

Indeed.  But by "compete", what I'd like to see is not faster speeds than VM offer (I'm not even on or interested in 350 Mbps), but for VM to sort out their useless customer service, dodgy service reliability, and often dubious sales behaviours.  Seems unbelievably short-sighted for VM to keep on with their old ways when Openreach are currently passing almost an additional 1% of UK properties with FTTP each month.  So if they won't do it now, when will they?

My thinking is that if the VM/O2 merger is allowed, then things will remain as they are for the next year or two or even get worse, because the two parent companies (Telefonica and Liberty Global) will look for a new listing for the UK business to get their money out and run, and that means maximising profits at all costs.  Then the new management come in, find that they're losing customers hand over fist to Openreach ISPs, and have to do decide what on earth they'll do about this unsustainable situation.  So I'm guessing about 2025 before cable customer service stands the slightest chance of improving.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Finally, there is direct competition on speeds.

Virgin has had the speed advantage for years, now they are beginning to lose it.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

only if BT get the coverage. they need to match moth speed and availability to help the market
0 Kudos