Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BH2 latency / packet loss

I live at BH2 post code and internet has been playing up ever since COVID-19 lock down began.

I now work from home and every once in a while I get ~300 ms. ping response from the virgin DNS or anything past the virgin router. Often this high latency results in packet loss. VoIP calls will get dropped and any remote desktop connections will disconnect. It lasts usually less than a minute.

My Virgin router is in modem mode with HW ver: 10 and SW ver: 9.1.1811.401. Broadband service is 350/35 Mbit/s

I have tried rebooting and re-setting it. Ping from the LAN side to both 3rd party router and Virgin router is consistent during the high-latency periods. The 3rd party router is not under any high load and is NATting less than 5000 connections at a time and no dropped packets are reported on any of the interfaces. Whatever is going on seems to be upstream.

I have set up external monitoring via thinkbroadband.com. You can check out the attached graphs.

Screenshot from 2020-04-13 10-55-30.pngScreenshot from 2020-04-13 10-55-11.pngScreenshot from 2020-04-13 10-54-51.png

I can not get in touch with any broadband support due to the ongoing pandemic. Has anyone at BH2 noticed service degradation?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BH2 latency / packet loss

Hi I’m Chris a Virgin media Tech

Could you please private message me your account number as well as address or your VM landline number. You can access my private messaging by hovering over my name. I can then run some diagnostics on your equipment and see further into your issue.

If you found this information useful or the issue was resolved, please give feedback by clicking the thumbs up Kudos icon and marking as a helpful answer.                                                                                                         

If you would like to learn more about receiving £50 of your bill please private message me.

Kind Regards

Chris VMTech

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Chris, I have messaged you the details as requested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Today is even worse - between 14:00 and 16:00 Internet was dropping off every few minutes.

Screenshot from 2020-04-15 16-12-15.png

Ping results from PC on LAN side are:

3rd party router - low latency

Virgin router on 192.168.100.1 (modem mode) - low latency

Virgin Gateway: 82.10.148.1 - high latency/drops

Virgin DNS: 194.168.4.100 - high latency/drops

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did you get a fix? I'm living in the BH6 area with exactly the same issues and all I'm told to do is upgrade to higher bandwidth when that isn't the issue at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue in NW3, did you get a fix?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm in Glasgow, and I am getting exactly the same, IDK if it noise, or if the line drops, or if it's a latency issue. I use a Cisco thing called any_connect to connect to the servers at work so I can do my job, and it's causing havoc every time one of these events happens it looses connection and has to re-connect, which invariably causes Outlook to hang. I spoke to an engineer the other day who was about as useful as a chocolate teapot, the usual get a pin and reset the modem, which I had already done myself, then told me no engineer would visit as I had service, and eventually sent me a new modem, which I was 99% sure wouldn't fix the issue and it hasn't. You want to be understanding under the circumstances, but we pay Virgin a lot of money for them to provide a service, and if they can't provide it, they should put their hand in their pockets and giving refunds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm changing ISP they get these complaints all the time and do nothing about it, just tell you to reset your modem which I'm sure my 80 year old Nan would also tell me... Useless company that just want your money

0 Kudos