Menu
Jonesgf
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Awful wifi

Can somebody explain to me how you get convinced to upgrade to a better wifi service (hub 3 - 600mbps), then be lucky to ever get a quarter of that, (often less than 30), and when you phone up to complain, they attempt to make it seem you are unreasonable?  I dread calling their customer service.  

I called to ask them not to add £30 monthly to my bill at end of special offer as my broadband is worse then ever and all I really want for tv is access to sky sports.  They then tell me to downgrade Tv package I will have to downgrade broadband to 400mbps - this is a speed I dream of.  Suggesting they should fix my wifi before I get charged additional or downgrade I was put on hold (having waited (understandably currently) 45 mins for an answer). I waited a further 35 mins before accepting they weren’t coming back. 

he asked why I hadn’t called before. I had but Kept getting put through the spaghetti options until an automated voice tells me it’s fine and hangs up or sends me a useless link and hangs up. I think I only got through today because I opted for the change a package option - first thing he tried to do was sell me 1 gbps!! I almost laughed.

Never experience worse customer experience than with virgin.  
I’ve put a complaint in. Think I’m only posting here to see how many others get the same experience. I know many of my local friends do

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Awful wifi

vm do not garantee wireless speeds.
what speeds do you get wired.
0 Kudos
Jonesgf
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Semantics.  I know wifi can be above 400mbps, I’ve seen it very rarely and not for a long time.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Jonesgf wrote:

Semantics.  I know wifi can be above 400mbps, I’ve seen it very rarely and not for a long time.

With the right wireless and device sure...the hub is not one of them and maybe your device too.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos