cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful Ping and upload speeds

MrWibble1
Joining in

Hi, for the past week I've had awful ping (spikes at 4000ms at times) so my son is unable to game.

It seems to be impacting upload speeds as well, as I can stream ok (most of the time) but uploads are very slow. All devices are affected and I've rebooted the router several times.

Where do I go to log a call? I ran the tester on the VM site and it says "no issues found" but when I try it again it says there are known issues in the area and VM are looking into it. What does that mean? No dates, no info.

How do I escalate this? 

Help!

28 REPLIES 28

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks,

I tried the number, it doesnt say anything other than there is a complex issue and it will take a while to sort. Guess I just have to twiddle thumbs for the time being.

🙂

Thanks, I have just done this, so its probably too soon to see any results, but here is the link:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c2c3f45f2f987b1bebd3a4832dfc29078d...

Stupid Question, how do I raise this with VM?

The phone line is automated and I just get to a dead end which says "known problems in your area, thanks bye"

If I use the support on the website, it takes me to a test page which says "known problems in your area, thanks bye"

Not very useful.

As a customer, I need to know when/if this will be fixed, else I will have to switch provider, at the moment its barely useable.

c2c3f45f2f987b1bebd3a4832dfc29078d2db90f.png

Seeing a lot of packet Loss. Any suggestions?

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MrWibble1,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to see you're having some issue with the connection.

I've had a look at things from our side, and can see you're currently affecting by an area SNR issue. If you're still experiencing after Monday please let us know.

Alex_Rm

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Alex_RM wrote:

I've had a look at things from our side, and can see you're currently affecting by an area SNR issue. If you're still experiencing after Monday please let us know.

Meaning it be fixed? or hope the issue goes away?  

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks. It seems to be better today "so far".,

I have been hoping it will be fixed for the past 2 weeks, with the odd reboot thrown in for good measure...

Well, its been definitely

c2c3f45f2f987b1bebd3a4832dfc29078d2db90f (1).png

better the past couple of days. I've not tried teams chats which I need for work, but I've noticed downloads/uploads are not freezing so much now.

Its possible to game but there are definite ping spikes that make it less fun.

From the screenie there are still some packet loss (not sure what is considered "normal") and the ping shoots up from time to time.