Menu
Marmo70
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Average speed

Hi

Ethernet fine but whilst not too slow my WiFi speed test shows speeds around 268 mbps. Paying for the 512 mbps. Anything I can do? Should I expect better?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Average speed

you are unlikely to get 500 with a wireless connection.
If your ethernet speeds are fine then you are getting the service.

260 over wireless is good and you should be happy with that. Not a lot of people see speeds like that over wireless
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The Wi-Fi speed you are getting is pretty good. Wi-Fi can be affected by tens of different outside influences including building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring Wi-Fi and smart appliances - the list goes on and on.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls and building materials used within them, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control or guarantee.

Also not all wireless devices will be capable of 512Mbps.  Only my Samsung Galaxy S10e maxes out my 350Mbps connection with most of my wireless devices only getting 200Mbps or less. What devices are you testing on?

If the bottleneck is not your devices then you could look at getting a third party router to improve wireless speeds with the VM hub in modem mode.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Marmo70
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

0 Kudos