Menu
itwhiz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Average Quoted speed a joke

Just had Another Price increase email and noticed it quotes that the average speed on a M200 account is 213Mbps. 

Mine averages 87Mbps - less than half the average. Called technical nothing wrong with connection. 

Called customer services - 'There's nothing we can do with the price I'll put you through to technical'.

Been a customer since their top speed was. 256Kbps, but nothing for loyal customers. Offers only for new customers.

Any ideas on what to try to speed it up? 

Tested on i5 Win10 laptop, wired to Hub using webbased speedtest and i5 Linux PC, wired to hub running Speedtest CLI.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Average Quoted speed a joke

Are you testing it via a gigabit network adaptor? Those speeds look like it's only 100mb.

Can you try fast.com on a flagship smartphone? 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As JB has intimated, a quick test ...

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
itwhiz
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Found reason

For some reason, gigabit card in my switch had locked at 100m

Tried laptop - was only showing 100Mbps but WiFi was 433Mbps.

Reset Switch, unplugged/pluggedin cables in router, retested and 213Mbps on Laptop wired and 156Mbps on Linux PC, through cascaded switch. 

Thanks folks

Still unhappy with price increase, but when BT can only supply upto 24Mbps I'll have to live with it. 

0 Kudos