Menu
mattaddiction
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Area referenceb31 - Variable and Slow Upload Speeds

Hi,

Area reference 31 - SG8 postcode.

Just noticed this last week or so my Virgin connection getting very sluggish at times and Twitch game streaming stopping because it's not got enough upload bandwidth (hasn't been an issue previously!).

SamKnows/Think/Broadband/Speedtest all reporting reasonable download speed, but poor upload, from sub 1Mb/s to 4 or 5 during the day, back up to around 10Mb/s early in the morning or late at night.  Can very greatly running one test after another, but all noticeable slower than 10Mb/s (tested from a wired connection, straight in to the VM Hub).

The 'Service Status' says all ok, but do we have any recent issues in this area that are contributing to this or is it just a sudden saturation of the network here?  Any ideas what's going on and more importantly when it will be fixed?

Regards,

matt

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area referenceb31 - Variable and Slow Upload Speeds

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

Then set up a BQM

If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mattaddiction
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area referenceb31 - Variable and Slow Upload Speeds

Nothing reported on the automated fault number.

Seems like quite a common issue currently, reading back many pages on here.

Is this something VM have acknowledged as a problem, something they are on the ball with trying to fix?  or 'Just how it is' currently?

Lot's of posts with similar issues seem to be very recent, and I have only just noticed, so I am not convinced it is home working and home schooling affecting things, not this late in the day.. Do VM have a network issue going on, specific to upload side as download seems unaffected? 

0 Kudos