Menu
ArthurDent123
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 - BR5 speed latency and dropped packets

I am in BR5/Area 20 

I have run all the trouble shooting but my conclusion remains the same, that there are capacity issues here with the virgin infrastructure during this social distancing period and WFH especially morning through to mid afternoon. 

Symptoms are: wild fluctuations in broadband speed. I pay for 100Mbps but see nowhere near this at certain times of day. Wild fluctuations in latency, including ping timeouts to google, bbc etc. Dropped VPN connections. >20% packet loss on VOIP calls (uplink only, downlink seems OK) regardless of technology (bluejeans, zoom, cisco hardware over aruba vpn). VPN disconnects (Consistent with periods of 100% packet loss). 

My Superhub 3 is in modem modeand has had a restart along with everything else in the house. Ping times to devices on the LAN are stable. Ping times to the internet are not. 

I have been unable to get through to the call centre to log a ticket, call gets dropped at 40mins,  is there an electronic approach that saves me time, email ? 

Is there something I can pay for that will fix this ? More capacity e.g. if I buy 200M and get twice the uplink will I suffer less from contention ? A business connection ? 

At present I can't see how the service is in line with my contract, will we get credits if the service cannot be stabilised ?  

Thanks

bagpuss2020
Just joined
Message 2 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20 - BR5 speed latency and dropped packets

I am also in Area 20 on a supposed 200M service and getting the following result:

Ping 51ms      Download 4.31Mbps        Upload   9.10Mbps

Annotation 2020-03-30 202823.png

This is appalling and is clearly a capacity issue. It has been like this consistently for the last week and I will be expecting some form of credit. Never have I seen the upload stat double the download performance! Please can someone from Virginmedia explain how they are going to address this?

0 Kudos
ArthurDent123
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 66
Flag for a moderator

I fear many of us will be forced back into the office because this infrastructure isn't up to it.

0 Kudos
Keith_f1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

The picture you have sent looks like it is testing you mobile phone connection speed as it states 02 on the third line is you phone with 02? if it is then the wifi speed isn't being tested it should say virgin media on the third line.

I hope this helps if you still experience the same issue on virgin media please send me a private message with your virgin media account number and i would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Keith_f1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

I am a virgin media engineer currently helping customers on chat forum.

Could you send me your virgin media account number and i will look into your signal levels and come back to you shortly.

Thanks 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

j633295
Tuning in
Message 6 of 66
Flag for a moderator

I am also in Area 20. My upload speed is 0.71Mbps and download speed wildly fluctuating. I am on M100 package and upload is supposed to be 10Mbps but it is far far off that. It is impossible to work from home with this kind of speed. I am almost certain it is a capacity issue within area 20.

Virgin Media please fix this ASAP and increase capacity provision for Area 20.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 66
Flag for a moderator

VM Areas are meaningless in that sense as they are not georaphically related - they are "legacy billing" areas.. I am Area 20 in Manchester - as are others in London, Surrey, Sussex and you in BR5 - Bristol ?

So any capacity issues are likely to be unrelated directly to Area more to the where you are physically located and connected to.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
CTaylor
Joining in
Message 8 of 66
Flag for a moderator

I also have been having connection issues in BR6 area, my connection has been very inconsistent with high ping and jitters but download and upload seems to be ok
0 Kudos
ArthurDent123
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know if upgrading to a higher package , thereby increasing the maximum uplink speed eg from 10Mbps to 36Mbps represents how QOS is applied during peak times.

I.e. would I be 3.6 times less likely to experience packet drops from me to everyone else if I upgraded.

At this point the main issue is dropped packets on voice calls/voip. I can live with citrix dropping twice an hour and all the other issues but get constantly told I break up when talking to others. 

(of course if I was getting what I pay for already , everything would be fine)

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 66
Flag for a moderator

Hi ArthurDent123,

Thank you for your post. 

I have taken a look into this on our side and can see you have a congestion issue in your area. Due to this it wouldn't improve the situation. 

^Martin

0 Kudos