Menu
M222ATY
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Appalling slow fibre!!

Hello all, I've been a Virgin customer for 6 years now and I've had so many issues with speed ever since joining up but the last 6 months have been the worst. 

I have M200 with the hub 3 but currently I'm getting around 20mbps average download where as 12 months ago it was 200!. I have tried everything including ditching the Virgin Wifi and using a new access point but nothing has improved it. This is an issue with both wired and wireless connection.

I spoke with customer service who reported no issues with my connection. I'm now at a loss. 

Any ideas or suggestions please? 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Appalling slow fibre!!

Hello

Can you please post your network stats from the hub
Open a Web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and enter the address http://192.168.0.1
Note: If you have enabled Modem Mode on your Hub 3.0 you will need to use 192.168.100.1 instead.
Posting the stats by copy and paste will remove all personal information so no breaches.
Do not login but click on where it says "Check Router Stats" and then copy and post from the following 4 tabs, Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network logs (if they are pasted then all personal information is * out) and we can check your power level, also while you about that can you please go around and check that all connectors to VM equipment are hand tight. Also while doing this please check for any damage to cable, or un-terminated connection without either coax or a terminator.
Also please run "Check service status" at the top right of this forum and call 0800 561 0061 to check for local issues.
Also one think you can do is too signup at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and setup a broadband quality monitor which will keep an eye on you connection by sending a small amount of data to the hub asking if it still on.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

...been a Virgin customer for 6 years now and I've had so many issues with speed ever since joining up but the last 6 months have been the worst. ....I spoke with customer service who reported no issues with my connection. I'm now at a loss. Any ideas or suggestions please? 

Yes.  Ask yourself why you're still a customer of a company that is (at the best of times) difficult to communicate with, far too often unhelpful, relatively expensive, and provides a service that is erratic and unreliable? 

There is no point in high speed broadband if you only get a fraction of what was promised, or if it doesn't work reliably and they can't or won't fix it and keep it fixed.  Guessing your bill at £60 a month, are you getting the service that you deserve for £720 a year?  If all you want is straight pricing, broadband and phone, then email Zen Internet and see what speeds they could offer you (or other smaller, customer service focused ISPs like AAISP, Aquiss, uno, or IDNet).  If you want a TV package then you'll have to deal with the likes of BT, Sky/Now, or Talktalk, none of whom I'd recommend, but may be your only choices. 

And before contracting with any new ISP, check their ratings on Trustpilot, and compare that to VM's ratings on that site.  A poor rating doesn't mean you shouldn't go with a company, but at least know what you're in for before committing to a deal where you're paying them between £500 and £1,000+ a year.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What do you get wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
M222ATY
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary,

Apologies this is 2 months on. Had more pressing issues than my Wifi of recent. However I'm finally back working so would like to relook at this issue. 

I have set up a monitor on thinkbroadband and have also setup some test at periodic times. The averages are as below: 

My Broadband Speed Test

Again, this is over Wifi but I also have tested wired with varying results including full 200mbps but as low as 25.  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Could you post the HUB stats as previously requested earlier in the thread?

0 Kudos