Menu
jfnk1ng
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Anyconnect slowdown

Hi

I have been using AnyConnect vpn for connecting to work quite successfully for some years.  This week however I have experienced a noticeable slowdown in vpn performance which leaves RDP rather sluggish (blurry screen takes a few seconds to become clear) and makes file downloads from directly mapped drives painfully slow (<1Mbps download speed via vpn).

I have connected using my mobile hotspot instead of my VM connection and it works fine, so I am happy that the laptop/vpn/server config is ok, but when I connect via VM it's very slow..  As a further test I used a wired connection into the hub (it's a Hub 3.0) to see if it was a WiFi problem, but same thing.

The internet connection itself is fine and the slowdown only relates to my vpn connection.  As I say, up until this week the performance was normal, so something has changed.  .Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jfnk1ng
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Anyconnect slowdown

D'oh!

Rebooted the Hub and all now appears well.  Can't believe I hadn't tried that before posting.

The hub showed no faults prior to reboot, and the log didn't contain anything relevant/unusual so no obvious indication that a reboot was needed, but after several years in the IT industry I should've known better.

Will monitor today to see if any repetition

0 Kudos
jfnk1ng
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, reboot of Hub 3.0 definitely looks to have cleared the issue.  Bit predictable in the end I suppose.

I wonder what the underlying problem was though. Guess I'll never know.... unless anyone can offer any insight??

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@jfnk1ng wrote:

I wonder what the underlying problem was though. Guess I'll never know.... unless anyone can offer any insight??

Probably just a stale connection if the Hub had not been rebooted or reset in quite a while. It not uncommon as regards to the Virgin Hubs, as after being up for a while things go a bit limp, they aren't like normal decent routers which can run for long periods of time without the need for a reboot. This is why when people are having problems the recommend first advice is a reboot or factory reset 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
0 Kudos
jfnk1ng
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply - I should definitely have gone for reboot as my first option.  I do wonder what a "stale connection" really means at a technical level though.  I suppose it must be that some resource (data table, memory etc) gets used up over time and not released.  Can't think of anything else.

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jfnk1ng

Thanks for posting in regards to your broadbadn connection, we appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

It's great to see this has now been resolved following the reboot. We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

Thanks 

Rob

0 Kudos