Menu
photojonny
Up to speed
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any reason to upgrade from M100?

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question. 

Is there any reason I should upgrade from M100 to 200 or 350?

Our usage is me working from home during the day, so plenty of MS Teams videocalling. Occasionally my daughter/wife may be streaming Netflix simultaneously. 

Of an evening we may have two simultaneous streams going - Netflix and BT Sport. 

We have a handful of smart plugs and Google homes. We don't game online.

I have been having stability issue which is more important but I think I have solved. I keep getting the upgrade offers but would I see any difference with our usage patterns? 

Thanks. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
M100. Hub3. Mix TV. V6 Box. TP-Link Deco M5 MESH.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any reason to upgrade from M100?

If you are happy with what you have got it is pointless spending any more on something that you might not use.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Increasing bandwidth ("speed") won't solve stability or latency problems.  You say you think they're solved - that's good.  If they don't stay solved, do not, on any account "upgrade", because (a) it won't fix the underlying fault, (b) you'll be locked in for another 18 months, and (c) that would just reward VM for delivering a faulty service.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

photojonny
Up to speed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I certainty won't upgrade to try and improve stability. I'm just interested in what use cases warrant 200 or 350 packages. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Consider your needs.  If your username means you are a photo buff, and you're one those Johnny-come-lately digital photo editors fakists* interested in digital photograph, you might value the higher upload speed of the 350 download package (so that's 36 Mbps upload compared to 20 on the M200).   

For work use, any good quality video call service only uses around 5 Mbps both ways, for leisure gaming uses less, and HD video streaming again uses 5 Mbps (down only).  Even if you stream 4K video, that's "only" 25 Mbps.    

* Me, biased?  No.  I'm currently looking at a Zeiss Contarex and Leica M3, both with B&W film in them (and the Contarex is the better, it's just such a piece of fabulous precision).  Proper photography requires proper cameras.  Digital has its place, and I do use it most of the time, but if the photographer hasn't learned the craft in a proper darkroom after using a purely manual camera, then they don't know [REMOVED].  I pick up photography and wildlife mags in the dentist waiting room and weep at the horrid Photo-shopped crimes that adorn the pages.  Here endeth the lesson.  

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
photojonny
Up to speed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lol! 

I do find the upload speed annoying but I don't upload enough photos to justify the expense, it's an interest rather than a serious hobby (or work). 

So it sounds like other than better upload speeds there aren't that many use cases for higher speeds unless you have lots of simultaneous streams?

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Absolutely. 

And if my edited comments caused offence to anybody, I'll apologise now.  I was speaking tongue in cheek, and I would like to point out that the unmoderated version contained asterisks in place of all vowels.

Buffer6
Hero
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ photojoney

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question.

Is there any reason I should upgrade from M100 to 200 or 350?

A few reasons would be the higher upload speeds which are very handy if you upload videos to YouTube, Vimeo or any other video site or if you run a home web server. 

If you regularly transfer multiple large files (e.g. download games or videos) a higher download speed would be of use

But if what you have what suits your needs then there is no reason to spend more for something that you don't need.🙂

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

If you are happy with what you have got it is pointless spending any more on something that you might not use.

+1 for this.  I used to have 200 but dropped to 100.  Don't notice any difference day to day with Netflix, work VPN etc.  If I need to download a big game I just let it run overnight, I'm never in that much of a hurry !  and saved a bit of money to boot. 

photojonny
Up to speed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys. Have firmly come to the conclusion that stability > speed.....

0 Kudos