Menu
trevnod
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Advertised Speeds on Gig1 Package

Can someone tell me why Virgin advertise 1140MB on their 1GB service when we don't get that speed?! I mean I know the Hub 4 can only handle 1GB but they shouldn't advertise something they can't provide!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advertised Speeds on Gig1 Package

Hello

As with all VM services that is speed to the hub, if you run the real speed test at https://samknows.com/realspeed/ that will show what the hub is getting, and also what is capable of the device.

Have  a look on https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds under the minimum faq it states "If the actual download speed provided from our network to your Virgin Media Hub falls below the minimum guaranteed download speed (which is 50% of the advertised speed for your broadband service on the date you placed your order), and this happens for 3 consecutive days or more (whether continuously or intermittently during the day) and we are unable to fix the problem, you may be able to leave your contract without paying an early disconnection fee."

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Never stopped them in the past 🤣

The hub only has 1GB ports, but that doesn't mean you can't get more than that if you combine both ethernet and WiFi within 3 feet of the router, so it might even be technically correct. 

jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Copy/paste from another thread I replied to:

"That is their "Get out of jail card", or that the HUB4 can receive 1.1Gb/s (+10% Contention) from the Coax and you can sometimes see this if you are lucky in the SamKnows (random speeds) Software built into HUB4.

Never going to get out the LAN port to one device or WIFI.

Roll on the HUB4ax (like from the SH2 > SH2ac) 😁

0 Kudos
trevnod
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If the router can only do 1Gb/s if I get a 10Gb ethernet card for my PC will I get the full 1GB instead of of the current 940mb approx?

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Nope as the router only has 1 GB 'network card' built inside it, so that's likely to give you no throughput at all. 

Now if you combined both WiFi and ethernet, you may get slightly more - 940mbps through ethernet and then maybe 100mbps over WiFi? 

0 Kudos
trevnod
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What?! Why did you even mention that? It's the speed to the hub......that's like saying, i'm getting a new car with 1000 bhp with 1000 going to the engine but from the engine to the wheels its only 940bhp!! They should provide a better router or give us the chance to buy our own instead of only putting the hub 4 into modem mode (which still doesn't help as it can only out 1Gb/s).

0 Kudos
trevnod
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How the hell do I do that Superfast? Combine the wifi and ethernet on my PC, that's a thing??
0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Someone here combined 2 and 3 ports and both ways got 1100Mb/s-1200Mb/s to his PC in modem and router mode.

What he said would seem true that we right now loose about 200-300Mb/s on it and IMO a 200-300Mb/s connection even today is not to be sniffed at.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@trevnod wrote:
Combine the wifi and ethernet on my PC, that's a thing??

Do a speed test on wireless by one device and do speed test on another device by wire at the same time to max 1Gb.

Not that you will ever do that in the real world but its how VM can say 1Gb in router mode.   

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos