Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Abysmal service

Asked to be upgraded to the M350 broadband service from 100Mbs last Friday 6th and here we are a week later still waiting. Three phone calls to Timbuctoo to people who barely speak English - Yes, its a wired connection, yes I've rebooted the modem, yes I've reset the modem. And their answer - "Please wait another 24 hours for it to settle in". An absolute joke.

Mind you, I've only been a loyal customer for 20 years, so it's understandable they're not too fussed. Just off to look at what SKY has got to offer. Bye Bye Virgin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Abysmal service

Just to check what hub do you have?, The settle in doesn't exist with virginmedia

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What does your config file say that your speed settings are actually set at (i.e what are the "maximum data transfer rates" - up and down ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Where is the config file?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Log into your SH3. It's under Advanced Settings > Tools > Network Status > Configuration.

For 350Mbps you should see this under downstream:
Max Traffic Rate 402500089

If this hasn't happened, customer support will need to push the new config down. It should have taken effect almost instantly when the upgrade was done, there's no need for anything to "settle in". Probably best to use their chat as it seems to reduce the risks of going to offshore support (or their chat reps seem much more knowledgeable and helpful).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, that's what I'm getting so now I know the update has been done. Why couldn't the idiots in Mumbai ask me to do this? I've ordered a couple of cat6 ethernet cables and will try these to see if it is a cable issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Also make sure that the devices you are using are capable of getting up to 1Gb speeds. A lot of older computer/laptops were fitted with a 10/100 NIC (network) cards and so will never get above ~100mbps. Also sometimes those fitted with a Gb card have been limited in its settings to 10/100 - so check that's not the case and also that the drivers are up to date.
On wifi, even if devices are GB enabled they may still connect at lower speeds if they are on the 2.4 GHz band and not the 5 one. To ensure they are on the 5 band you will have to rename their SSID's in the Hub settings so they can be seen as separate networks - or use your own router and (better) wifi equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Once again thank you - Some really helpful advice and information here that really should have been given by Virgin's "Customer Service" team. 👍

0 Kudos