Menu
evanilily37
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A question to virgin media broadband users

Hey guys, just a quick question iv'e heard that virgin cap your bandwidth if you use to much bandwidth, i'd like to know. Is the cap noticeable and have you had any trouble with your broadband and if so was it easy to sort out?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: A question to virgin media broadband users

you heard wrong - VM do not cap their BB

Tony
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nope, VM don't cap your bandwidth, and usually they offer the full contracted speed (in fact, usually a bit more, so my 200 Mbps connection runs at around 218 Mbps).  Reliability is, in my experience, a little bit less that Openreach, but not sufficient to make much difference.  Where VM really differs is latency ("ping" for the uneducated), which tends to be very slightly worse than Openreach if you have a good connection.  Ordinarily this won't be a problem.  Where VM do have a problem is in areas with high user numbers where this leads to congestion and really poor latency (particularly due to lockdown).

But why not give VM a go?  Get a connection, keep any existing broadband uncancelled, and see how VM performs in the first ten days of your "cooling off" period.  If VM is good, you cancel the previous ISP, if there's ANY problem you cancel VM, and pay nothing.  But do read other customer's reviews on sites like Trustpilot and ISPReview before committing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is OP refering to using bandwidth for P2P downloading?

If that is the case there maybe some cap but for the little P2P I have done never noticed any.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.