Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

7 Mb download on a 200 MB line

For the last week or so I've been getting from 7Mb to about 20 MB from my 200Mb fibre line, I'm wired in via ethernet directly to the hub, but still only getting 20 Mb the guaranteed lowest I should be getting is 100mb even at peak and currently at 10 PM on a Sunday night I'm barely getting 8 MB, its been like this for weeks now in N1 London, who do I speak to about getting a refund.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: 7 Mb download on a 200 MB line

When you run the speedtest is the spped during the test unnaturally consistent? I mean does it get to 7 or 8MBits and then flatten out with very little variation during the download phase of the test?

The reason I ask is that this is exactly what I get, just at 55MBits. There is nothing wrong with any of my kit or setup, so the only conclusion I can come to is that Virgin are artificially capping a large number of customers in areas which are having problems. Even though they refuse to admit they have network problems

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Last night it flattened out to 8mb, and oddly just after I stared a text message conversation it jumped back up to about 50mb, its clear to me that I'm being throttled to well below the minimum about promised of 100mb, the thing that annoys me is that they keep lieing about it, I pay for 200mb, with a minmum service of 100mb, and I've not been receiving it. Now I totally understand that the system is overloaded, and if they want to cut my bill by 50% for 50% less service then I might agree, but to do it and not tell us is just out of order. IMO

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, this is exactly what seems to be going on. Like you, I don't mind so much that we have less speed because there's clearly high demand at the moment. The real problem is that Virgin are doing this without being open and honest. I can cope on 55Mbits for a while, but to at 1 Gig price that's not right.

If they just openly apologised and explained what was going on I'm sure people would understand. The fact that they are not being open says a lot about Virgin Media

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

to all the above how are you testing the speed - wired or wifi - always test wired - if thats ok you have a wifi problem which is for you to solve - if its slow wired start you own thread with hub levels quoted and wait for some input

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Simple answer is both.

In my case I have tried Hub 4 in router mode and modem mode. Factory reset and then tried both again. Disconnected all other devices (including cable to TV Box) Checked all signal levels/channels (which have not changed since before the major problems a week ago.

All results give a very flat 55Mbits through wired, wireless N and wireless AX. It is not an issue with my kit and setup. It is an issue further up the chain. So going through the process of posting my stats is not going to help.

By the way, I've been dealing with networking for 30 years, been with NTL/Virgin etc for 19 years and have been through troubleshooting many times on all of the hub types many times, even through getting Virgin to agree to cable re-pulls etc.

It's a little off just making a sweeping assessment about how someone is troubleshooting their issue and dismissing things as wireless or "must be setup issue"/"wait to go through all the steps you've already been through again"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@kushik wrote:

Simple answer is both.

In my case I have tried Hub 4 in router mode and modem mode. Factory reset and then tried both again. Disconnected all other devices (including cable to TV Box) Checked all signal levels/channels (which have not changed since before the major problems a week ago.

All results give a very flat 55Mbits through wired, wireless N and wireless AX. It is not an issue with my kit and setup. It is an issue further up the chain. So going through the process of posting my stats is not going to help.

By the way, I've been dealing with networking for 30 years, been with NTL/Virgin etc for 19 years and have been through troubleshooting many times on all of the hub types many times, even through getting Virgin to agree to cable re-pulls etc.

It's a little off just making a sweeping assessment about how someone is troubleshooting their issue and dismissing things as wireless or "must be setup issue"/"wait to go through all the steps you've already been through again"

wireless is the last thing you would speedtest on - far too many variable - hub levels are always useful - they are a measure of the input usually - post them or not but they are the start point if the speeds are tested wired and are slow - i will not go into modem mode or safe mode as i am sure you have done all that with your 30 years knowledge base

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tested on both cable and wireless and on three different machines, and get the same result, I'll keep monitoring and recording the results, but it's clearly being limited by Virgin, with out telling us. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Robfury wrote:

Tested on both cable and wireless and on three different machines, and get the same result, I'll keep monitoring and recording the results, but it's clearly being limited by Virgin, with out telling us. 

if VM were doing that this place would light up and whilst there are more posts than usual at the moment it does not seem to be the case

the system can restrict speeds with a high user base but VM do not - will add afaik

as i say above the start point is post the levels from the hub - without that you can get little help - one of the many techs who are on here at the moment could message you for account details - that will serve 2 purposes

1 - to look at your local area for problems - i or not of the other non VM people cannot do that

2 - look at your levels etc - you can shortcut that by posting them here

or just continue with your conspiracy theory that its VM doing it and not telling you

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't understand the aggressive nature of your response, I have a contract with virgin for a minimum service level of 100mb and that service has not been delivered. Is it really that wild of a theory to belive a business like virgin would rather than be honest about the situation, lie or remain silent regarding breaching that agreement, so as not to be held legally to account. 

0 Kudos