Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

6 months, 2 Routers/ISR's, High latency and HUGE lag spikes - Gaming - 200Mbps package

Hi all,

We have had 2 different SuperHub 3's in that 6 month period as we used an old contract at the address and have set up a new contract - we were issued new equipment. We are both gamers and run WiFi with both of the High Performance gaming PC's, we do not download a huge amount, but we both play online MMO/FPS... LATENCY reliant games. I personally regularly restart the router to clear the cache and hard restart it

The only way to really describe the problems we are having particularly in the last 2/3 weeks is generally high latency, noticeable response times when playing a Live game but bareable... then up to, MASSIVE lag spikes where we have both experienced lag spikes up to 10,000-25,000ms.. <-- this is what we have been having much more of and it shouldn't happen on a network that promotes itself to gamers. This is a widely-known issue that from what I have read is a problem that is inbuilt into the ISR, whether it's the wireless/router/modem part I'm unsure.

I have the capabilities and hardware available to test modem-only mode, from what I have heard it does not resolve the issue but I will try it. I do not think that putting it into router-only mode is very user-friendly if that is the case. It should be mostly Plug and Play these days.

Restarting the box resolves the issue for up to a couple of hours at most on a good day, but straight out the slow response times are still noticeable. Just today, I recorded during one of our huge lag spikes, downloads and upload speeds of 7.6/8Mbps which I'm sure you know is unacceptable on numerous levels.

2 games that are mostly exclusively being played are League of Legends and World of Warcraft, attached to the network are 2 gaming PC's, Chromecast and 2 Samsung mobile phones. During all of my testing, no devices have been downloading anything in the background... and with the speeds we SHOULD be getting, there is enough bandwidth for ALL 5 devices to be downloading and for there still be enough room! Even if games were being downloaded, between you and the external service there will be download stream limits, so you won't experience full bandwidth

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: 6 months, 2 Routers/ISR's, High latency and HUGE lag spikes - Gaming - 200Mbps package

A TB BQM is useful have - VM usually take notice of the data - so can you follow this protocol for getting Hub and connection data and a BQM.

-------
First do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any splitters/attenuators/etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then do a Hub “pinhole reset” - disconnect any ethernet cables and with the Hub "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool and hold it there for 60 seconds – release the pin then leave it 10’ to stabilise. But, make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first !

Then, post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also, in the meantime, if you haven’t already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” (as per instructions on the TB website) when you have the first 24h period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos