Menu
stobbsie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

500mbps package PS4 pro speed 40mbps

Just upgraded to 500mbps today and are getting slower speeds than I was getting on the 200mbps package on a PS4 pro 

200mbps=90-140 download 14 to 20 upload

500mbps=40-60 download 36 upload 

tried changing Ethernet cable from a cat6 to a cat 7 zero difference 

Can anyone give me some advice on how to sort this out thanks 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 500mbps package PS4 pro speed 40mbps

How are you testing your speed?  If it is using the speed test built into the PS4 then it is infamously bad at not showing the true speed of your connection.  My PS4 always shows much lower speeds than my PC and the results on the PS4 fluctuate randomly.

I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and has a multi threaded download option, try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

This site usually give faster results than the Sony speed test, but it still never gives results as high as my PC which maxes out my connection.  Be sure to select the London test server as it often defaults to US servers.

Regardless of what speed test results you get you are at the mercy of the Sony servers when it comes to downloads and their speeds fluctuate depending on demand.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

stobbsie
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

• Thankyou for the reply what you are saying makes sense but I’m also getting under 250mbps and very very slow uploads testing via ookla Speedtest app on mobile also 
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wireless speed tests can also be unreliable and VM do not guarantee wireless speeds.  Less than 250Mbps may be the best your mobile can do.  My Samsung S10e can do 350Mbps but none of my other wireless devices can top 200Mbps.

Upgrading from M200 to M500 does not guarantee all your devices will start getting 500Mbps speeds, but a reasonably powerful PC or Mac with a Gigabit Ethernet NIC should be able to get 500Mbps.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
stobbsie
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler

Hi thanks for the reply I understand certain devices hve there limitations due to hardware but I’m connected via 3ft Ethernet cable not WiFi and the upload shows the roughly same upload speed on laptop connected via Ethernet also which is a lot worse than yesterday I have done several tests over different devices highest being 7mb today lows of 2.5 ,logging into router log shows lots of partial service errors  so I think maybe something is going off as I’ve seen a few posts regarding this that all end up with needing an engineer visit 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@stobbsie wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply I understand certain devices hve there limitations due to hardware but I’m connected via 3ft Ethernet cable not WiFi and the upload shows the roughly same upload speed on laptop connected via Ethernet also which is a lot worse than yesterday I have done several tests over different devices highest being 7mb today lows of 2.5 ,logging into router log shows lots of partial service errors  so I think maybe something is going off as I’ve seen a few posts regarding this that all end up with needing an engineer visit 

So if you understand that why go all round the houses with unreliable speed tests from a console and a mobile instead of posting the above straight away?😖

The context of the errors is important so please post the full network log along with the figures from the downstream and upstream tabs on the hub status page.

0 Kudos
stobbsie
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Bottom line is speeds on any device are slower than they were before the upgrade wether the tests are via ps test ookla test (which virgin media engineer told me to use) I can see where this is going in s all my devices and nothing to do with the service I’m receiving kudos 😂 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@stobbsie wrote:

Bottom line is speeds on any device are slower than they were before the upgrade wether the tests are via ps test ookla test (which virgin media engineer told me to use) I can see where this is going in s all my devices and nothing to do with the service I’m receiving kudos 😂 

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.100.1 for modem mode . You shouldn't need log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs? Please copy/paste this data as text, split between multiple posts (Sometimes you have to click 'Post' twice due to an error message).

We can have a look for any oddities in the stats.

Could you please create a BQM (Broadband Quality Monitor) here, and post the live link?

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@stobbsie wrote:

Lol why go all around the house ? I have a laptop right here I have a PS4 pro console right here I never once stated I’m testing consoles around the house ...3ft Ethernet cable should of given it away .

im a very insightful person I’m here to share knowledge 🤣 🤣 🤣

"going all around the houses" is an expression that means to say or do something in an unnecessarily complicated way when it could be very simple.  I was not suggesting you were literally going around the house.🙄

You are not making it easy to help so I'm going to duck out and let others try to deal with you.

Also going to move thread out of Gaming as it is a Speed issue not a gaming one.

0 Kudos