Menu
xl3ombz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

500mb service speeds being capped to 2.5 mb

Hi, for over a month now i have been receiving max speeds if up to 2.5 mbps at best I've rang virgin media spent 4 hours on the phone repeating myself and getting put on hold 24/7 and them cutting me off multiple times for them to eventually tell me that there is a non-existent service outage in my area. Nonsense Im paying for a 500mb service not 2!!!! Sort it out!!!! This is daylight robbery.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 500mb service speeds being capped to 2.5 mb

Your service is not being capped. There is clearly a fault somewhere. 

How are you measuring the speed? What speed do you get with a device wired to the Hub with an ethernet cable?

xl3ombz
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Im measuring using speedtest.net 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

and ?

0 Kudos
xl3ombz
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

and im getting 1.5 mb download speed wireless while im standing next to the router. Im not able to do a test wired because i can only measure speed using my phone 

0 Kudos
Avalon-One
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin don't 'cap' or throttle services as such, they have quite publicly stated they don't and won't do so for many years (it was an LG policy change iirc?), in recent years many people have suggested/claimed otherwise and each and every time it's turned out not to be the case, we've had the Puma chipset issues, the 6in4 tunnel issues and the UDP issues, but they are all separate issues, beyond those it's usually fault or a user side problem. If you want to get anywhere with this, I would suggest you follow the advice already offered, you will need a laptop/computer connected by a cat5e or better cable direct to the router and to do a proper speed test. Why? Because we don't know what the wireless environment is like around you, what your phone is capable of or that you aren't doing something silly like standing right next to the router when you 'test' or doing something daft like running a VPN connection on the handset and forgetting to turn it off etc. Fault finding is about removing variables to identify an issue, wifi is a massive and complex variable.

0 Kudos