Menu
magnumwhite1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

500mb broadband worse than 100mb

Hi, since upgrading my internet is so much worse, my house now has multiple blackout spots, one of them is only about 7 metres away from router.

Even though the wifi signal had 2 bars , I did a speedtest on speedtest.net and it came back with zero connection speed and 125ms jitter rating.

My daughters been complaining from day one and ive had enough now and the penny has finally dropped with me this isnt normal and there is a fault somewhere. Again I had zero issues with my old virgin router and 100mb service.

Can someone please arrange me an engineer call out?

Kind regards

Lee

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 500mb broadband worse than 100mb

Ugrading the broadband speed won't automatically increase the WiFi speed - they are not directly related. There are many reasons why the WiFi speed might be different now.   To get the best speed your devices will need to connect on the 5GHz band. Are they doing that?  You may need to change the SSIDs on the two bands to force this.

Have you done a wired speedtest to confirm you are getting the correct download speed?

0 Kudos
magnumwhite1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for reply, its not really speeds though its literally blackout spots in my house with zero connection to internet and very high jitter.

I had no blackouts with my old suberhub 3 and 100mb connection. Only thing that has changed is virgin have installed new router and upgraded connection but performance is worse and I dont mean speed. Router is located exactley same place and devices in my home are same as before, one blackspot is on same ground floor and about 7m away, its only a 2 bedroom home and every home ive ever lived in has only ever been modest size wise and have never experienced blackout zones with any provider.

Ethernet is fine as I tested on my laptop with speedtest.net and ive tried setting up 2.4ghz channel to improve range but hasnt made much difference.

Something definitely wrong and would assume it must be the router and the way its setup as line to house and old equipment fine before.

0 Kudos
magnumwhite1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Also to clarify in these black out zones devices will show a decent enough wifi signal strength wise, its usually a 2 bar but cant download any data or access the internet, I understand signal strength doesnt always determine connection quality with wifi in regards data packets and all that techy stuff but its really odd and makes no sense as only thing that has changed in my home has been setup by virgin and its worse than before, only difference ive noticed really between 100mb & 500mb is now parts of my home cant get an internet connection or at least a stable one as my daughter constantly complaining and all fine before with old setup.

0 Kudos
magnumwhite1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20210204-213453_Speedtest.jpg

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If the broadband connection is working properly you won't get Virgin to send an engineer.  You might be able to get a replacement router sent after an hour or two on the phone,  unless a Virgin person picks this up.

But first I suggest again that you separate the said on the two bands and try connecting the devices separately on the two bands. And get a WiFi analyser app to check you are using the best channels.

The real answer is to get a separate WiFi router, or a mesh system that can take full advantage of the new broadband speed.

0 Kudos
magnumwhite1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but as stated ive already setup a seperate 2.4ghz connection on the router so it outputs a 5ghz & 2.4ghz option for my devices and 2.4ghz although should have better range hasnt solved the issue. Unless you mean something else I dont understand.

Again this isnt about speed or me trying to get fast download speeds, its about range and me now having blackspots and dropouts throughout the home were I cant connect to internet at all even though old superhub 3 with slower connection had zero issues.

I enquired about virgin mesh system but they have none in stock but ive realised how that may not solve this as there is clearly something else at fault. The closest blackout spot is less than 7m from the router on same floor so on that basis I need a few mesh pods ridiculously close to were the router is anyway but this doesnt make sense as I never had this issue before and shouldnt need to complicate things in my small 2 bedroom house with mesh pods everywhere.

Although I have used the virgin connect app to change channels, I havent really looked into to that side of things properly to really understand it so thanks I will look into that more but im not happy with the installation and my service so far.

0 Kudos