Menu
fragma78
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

500m broadband slow speeds

So had 350m wifi is so bad at 26meg download so updated to 500m still the same help pls on ethernet it great 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wi-Fi

What Hub do you have? If a Hub3 try this first.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
g0akc
Rising star
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

• what device?
  • How close to hub?
  • Which WIFI band?
  • What type of property?
  • and so on....

can you give more information

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@fragma78 wrote:

So had 350m wifi is so bad at 26meg download so updated to 500m still the same help pls on ethernet it great 

sounds like you're connecting with a device on the 2.4ghz band.

you can check by logging into the hub and navigating to "connected devices" and see what band they are on.. 26mbps is within the range of acceptable for 2.4 - you should expect more on the 5ghz band..

if everything is good via ethernet though, then unfortunately you'll get little/no support from VM.. and hte advice from around here will be to buy a better wireless router/mesh system. 

0 Kudos