Menu
wsuleman
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

500Mbps purchased but only getting 32Mbps, should I cancel before I run out of 14 day window?

Hi,

I recently purchased broadband with engineer visiting yesterday to install and all is fine. I run the speedtest and get 300+ Mbps so I think great all my work broadband issues should be over now.

Now imagine my frustration when today I cannot take part in any meeting or hear anyone. I run a speed test and see a paltry 32Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up. Holy cow is this terrible.

So should I cancel now before I go beyond the 14 days? This is beyond bad, this is scam territory.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 500Mbps purchased but only getting 32Mbps, should I cancel before I run out of 14 day window?

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

then 

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 500Mbps purchased but only getting 32Mbps, should I cancel before I run out of 14 day window?

if they are the speeds you are getting wired you'll be able to cancel as its under the speed garantee.

But first make sure you tested wired not wireless
0 Kudos
wsuleman
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I cannot do a wired test because I have a mac and no converter at hand.

Using the website I got 3.32Mbps down and 4.46Mbps up. https://www.speedtest.net/result/10558594298
0 Kudos
wsuleman
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am in the same room as the router and the same place as yesterday when I got 300+ in the evening after the installation. I dont think it can be the Wifi because of that.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@wsuleman wrote:
I cannot do a wired test because I have a mac and no converter at hand.

Using the website I got 3.32Mbps down and 4.46Mbps up. https://www.speedtest.net/result/10558594298

The problem you have is that VM do not, and never have guaranteed Wi-Fi speed or coverage.

Probably best if you bang out now.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
wsuleman
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"Probably best if you bang out now."

*sigh* I was hoping to avoid that since the support itself forces you to hold hours on end. You are right though, best jump out now while I still can.

Thank you
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@wsuleman wrote:
"Probably best if you bang out now."

*sigh* I was hoping to avoid that since the support itself forces you to hold hours on end. You are right though, best jump out now while I still can.

Thank you

I called in yesterday at 08:00 to cancel and got straight through and everything was sorted including the confirmation email within 15 minutes.

Speak to Retentions on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1- 1 - 4 - 4 "Thinking of leaving".

0 Kudos
wsuleman
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks that actually was quick. I was able to call and ask for cancellation although was told "would put that through in a bit" so unless there is funny business guess its time to look for a new ISP.

Thanks to Virgin media though I missed all the other black friday offers, so I guess I will hold this fond memory of this waste of a company in the future.
0 Kudos