cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500Mbit package. 190Mbit Speed Test.

DavidA_UK
Tuning in

Yesterday I switched from a 125Mbit package to a 500Mbit for package but my speed is 190Mbit.

The modem’s in router mode, it’s connected to a Unifi controller and I’m running the speed test directly from the controller. 

Would a firmware upgrade on the router help? A reboot? Anything else I can try?

Thx!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

@DavidA_UK wrote:

Yesterday I switched from a 125Mbit package to a 500Mbit for package but my speed is 190Mbit.

The modem’s in router mode, it’s connected to a Unifi controller and I’m running the speed test directly from the controller. 

Thx!

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

@DavidA_UK wrote:

Thx!

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

“RealSpeed is not available on this network”

@DavidA_UK wrote:

“RealSpeed is not available on this network”

Can you access the site from a device plugged into the HUB, rather than via the Unifi controller?

I put the Virgin router into Hub mode and then was able to use RealSpeed and established I was getting 545Mbit from the router and 100mbit via wifi, so the issue is somewhere in my network. Not sure why I'd get 100mbit wifi speed when right next to the router, but never mind.

When back in modem mode my wired NAS is seeing 263Mbit in a speed test. I'm seeing similar Wifi speeds. I'm going to investigate where in my network I'm losing speed.

Thanks for your help.

Good to have taken the time for the Hub tests and started to narrow down the issues.

Having QoS setting enabled can degrade some network systems quite badly.

With laptops, often they are bogged down by bloated security packages etc, the give away is a speed test in Safe Mode + Networking is much faster.

SOLVED!

Situation: Wifi router in hub mode was getting 500Mbit but getting 200Mbit in modem mode using my Ubiquiti USG-3P router.

In modem mode:

• Over wifi I was getting 200Mbit maximum despite the access points being 802.11ac. This turned out to be because wifi rarely gets to full speed.
  • From the built in speed test in the Ubiquiti router I was getting 205Mbit. This turned out to be because the processor in the USG-3P can't run speed tests properly. Known bug.
  • Using henrywhitaker3/speedtest-tracker in a docker container on my Synology NAS (wired) I got 545MBit. Success! This told me that the wired hardware on my network could receive the speed I was paying for in my package.

I guess a lesson for me here is that there's not too much on my network that can make use of the faster speed

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

Having QoS setting enabled can degrade some network systems quite badly.

Only because of the hardware  

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello DavidA_UK.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our community.

Great news that you have been able to resolve the speeds issues.

If you do need any further help. Don't hesitate to pop back on here and we can help.

Gareth_L