cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500 broadband

Marky_mark
Tuning in

Why when 500mb is same price as 1gb am I charged to upgrade . Why am I told hub 4 is not compatible with my speed when virgin site states its great for slower speed . Why do tech service not tell the truth after 4 hours on the phone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub4/5 has wifi that is no better than the Hub3 - many say its "worse"

Lets start from first principles and come back to speeds later.

Firstly... Are the disconnect issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables?

If you don't know, can you check by connecting a laptop/computer directly to the Hub on an ethernet cable - this will help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens? Does the white baselight remain steady or flash or turn colour? Do the wifi lights flash green

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What exactly are you wanting to do? Upgrade your package to 1GB from 500? What Hub are you actually using?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Just get a broadband that works! using a hub 3 on 600mbps that drops constantly probably at times 10 times a day asking for a hub 4 or 5 , to try to boost WiFi getting 180 maps sat 5 foot from the hub 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub4/5 has wifi that is no better than the Hub3 - many say its "worse"

Lets start from first principles and come back to speeds later.

Firstly... Are the disconnect issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables?

If you don't know, can you check by connecting a laptop/computer directly to the Hub on an ethernet cable - this will help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens? Does the white baselight remain steady or flash or turn colour? Do the wifi lights flash green

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi , thankyou firstly,

My wife has problems with ethernet cables to her desktop too . We have had a new router and 3 engineer visits , new cabling to house . 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Lets see the Hub and connection data then - can you do this...

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up dont login just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of the Login page.

Then just copy/paste as the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream tab, the 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page.

Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses in the logs - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

AND

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

John 

Just comes up with ! No page opens,  looking at the monitoring now 

Mark 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is that when doing it on a device connected directly into the Hub on an ethernet cable ? If not try that.

Poist a screenshot of any error messages

Have you ever logged into the settings and changed your passwords from those that are on the Hub's base sticker?

I have a SH2 - not a Hub3 and this is what i get...

Router status.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

Screenshot_20211227-170505_Samsung Internet.jpg

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The address should be 192.168.0.1 not 192.168.0.1%20

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali