Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

500 broadband speed is closer to 200

I recently upgraded from the 200 MB to the 500 MB package, and I'm seeing very little difference in download speeds. The 200 was always consistently above 200, while the new 500 gives me maybe a 10% improvement, if that.

I'm using the Hub 3 in modem mode, testing via a wired connection. The best I've seen so far is around the 270 MB mark, worst is around 200 MB, and it mostly hovers around 230-240, which is basically what I'd expect to see from my old package on a good day. I might as well get rid of it if I don't see any improvement soon. I'm paying for it, but how can I tell if the 500 MB upgrade has been activated?

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 11.46.24.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: 500 broadband speed is closer to 200

Do you have any kind of router sat between the Hub and the testing PC ?

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I couldn't get it connected directly in modem mode, for some reason, but I rebooted and switched to router mode to connect directly. That gave me 532 MB. So it's something about the router (Netgear R8000) that's limiting things. Could be tricky to solve, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@garner wrote:

I couldn't get it connected directly in modem mode, for some reason, but I rebooted and switched to router mode to connect directly. That gave me 532 MB. So it's something about the router (Netgear R8000) that's limiting things. Could be tricky to solve, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Try this to start with ...

Advanced > WPS Wizard > QoS Setup > untick Enable Dynamic QoS

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dynamic QoS is off, and the cable between the Hub and the router claims it's cat 5E. I tried swapping the cable for a different one but no luck there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@garner wrote:

Dynamic QoS is off, and the cable between the Hub and the router claims it's cat 5E. I tried swapping the cable for a different one but no luck there.

On your speed tests it appears you are using wireless.

What speeds do you get if you connect wired to the Netgear?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm definitely not using wireless. My computer doesn't have any wireless functionality - I know this because built it! 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The symbology is certainly showing the results as Wi-Fi.

On the desktop app my results has a double ended arrow to denote ethernet.

On the internet it shows the Wi-Fi symbol - spooky.

Mike Robinson

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You know the speed to the Hub is over 500Mbs meaning the slow down is therefore caused by the R8000 or do one of the two ethernet cables or a combination of the two.

What speed do you get using a decent Wi-Fi device about 3 or 4 feet from the R8000 ?

Mike Robinson

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help! You definitely got me on the right track, and it was a factory reset of the R8000 that finally did the trick. It's now around 530-540 MB both wired and wireless.

I have no idea what setting it was that was throttling the speed, or why it was affecting everything on the network. I have an access point in another part of the house that I had previously assigned a static IP address to, there was a port being forwarded to this PC and a device in the DMZ. I shouldn't think those things would throttle all traffic through the router, but they're gone now.

I'm gradually restoring my settings and testing the speed after each one, so maybe I'll find out what it was.

Thanks again!