Menu
aejbug
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

39.42mbps down with 100mbps package wired

Hi,

I got my VM hub on Monday, I have the 100mbps package. I use a wired connection and my hub is right next to the wall socket. My speed tests are averaging 40mbps when testing over ethernet. I have tried resetting my hub, not sure what else to do so guidance would be useful. Does Virgin normally need teething time to get up to speed? Or am I overpaying for my broadband... Hopefully someone can help! Cheers.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 39.42mbps down with 100mbps package wired

Have you tried another cable?

What device are you testing with?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
aejbug
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey, I am using a TP-Link 1200mpbs adapter with the ethernet cable supplied by VM (cat 6) into the router. My other other plug is a 600mbps plug with a cat 5 ethernet cable (should support up to 100mbps). Going into my desktop windows PC.

I previously used this equipment with hyperoptic and got good speeds (I think my cat 5 cable wasn't present during that set up) maybe this ethernet cable is a weak link?

0 Kudos
aejbug
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Update: Plugging straight into the router with the cat 6 cable yields me 110mpbs down...so could it be the cat 5?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No it will be the adaptor.

You'll never get full speeds over a powerline plug.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
aejbug
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would normally agree but I previously used the same adapters with a hyperoptic connection 1gbps

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You wouldn’t have gotten gigabit speeds though.

0 Kudos
aejbug
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well no of course not, but my connection wasn't 66% less. 10/20% drop in connection, fair play but not 66% that is ridiculous. Thanks for your help anyway but I will try a different cable and see what happens.

0 Kudos