Menu
skylineboy2002
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

362mbps package doesn't get past high 100's - limited?

hi all,

i have PC upstairs ethernet'ed (1gbps cable and card) and of course wireless phones / tablets etc.

they never seem to get past 150-180mbps. when testing (wireless and wired) as if its throttled / limited in someway.

any advice? i'm on the 362 package, and it did run at close to that (even sometimes exceeding it).. but i have noticed this lately (tbf it could have been like this for months, because i havent tested as regularly as i used to).

T.I.A, Dan

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 362mbps package doesn't get past high 100's - limited?

Try this first.. connect the PC directly to the Hub with your Cat5e/6 cable (that you know is good) after you have put the Hub into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Check speeds like that first.
If they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds). Run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on a different browser - preferably a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).
Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
skylineboy2002
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks, the safe mode with networking got me 380!

normal windows boot only got me 150 - literally 1mins after safe mode got me double that and more!

any idea what could be causing it? the pc itself isn't that heavily used, it has the normal programs on etc, no gaming. just basic office tasks.
and there have been no major changes to it for years. win7 with all updates and patches etc, and scanned / looked after regularly.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am Apple only so Windoze is a black area for me. Could be a number of things I guess - Antivirus package ? Turn it off whilst you run a quick test. Network card drivers need updating? Are you running any QoS package to limit individual device max connection rate - e.g. Dell has been a culprit recently running SmartByte ? Reinstall windoze?
Others may be more help

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
skylineboy2002
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks!

i had kespersky free and pausing its protection for 5mins got me to 350-380 again!

tried to find a solution but it persisted. so downloaded AVG, although it seems a common thing for most antivirus (inc AVG), although disabling a certain level of the "web shields" on these antivirus's seems to work (it did on AVG anyway).

thanks for the help guys, i guess having a faster connection shows up the slow down even more.

0 Kudos
samsonite
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This is a useful thread - I also had issues with Windows and network speeds and moved to Linux which gets me 390+ down and 36+ up - worth the change to appreciate those speeds (seeing as you are paying for it).

To err is human, but it is against company policy.
0 Kudos
Patient0
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

im using avast with no slowdowns if that helps..

0 Kudos
skylineboy2002
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks guys,

i have tried a couple of AV's and they all seem to have the same "issue"

that being their "web" shields being turned on seem to throttle the traffic.

turn them off and it's fine. which is cool with me because i'm careful on links i click and then regularly scan myself so it's "web" sniffer which constantly monitors the traffic doesn't need to be on in my case.

has to be said that when i was on other packages it never seemed to happen, eg 100mbps, 200mbps these features were probably turned on and i didnt notice a slow down. but thats probably some setting in the AV's code.. maybe it sees 350mbps as a "traffic leak" as in an unusual amount of data traffic and slows it thinking it's doing good.

0 Kudos