Menu
Alex80beck
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

350mb but never over 200mb

Hi all,

Currently have the 350 package with the SH3. speeds have always been around the 200mb. I have recently bought a TP link ax50 router and am now running the SH3 in modem mode. I am just about to install a home network through my house with cat6 and outlets. So i would like to get the speed around the house in each outlet.

200mb is over wifi & lan.

Are there any methods i can try to get the 350mb ?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: 350mb but never over 200mb

Firstly you need to ensure that you are getting the correct speed at the Hub.

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

then ...

Reset the TP Link back to factory mode.

then ...

Put the Hub into modem mode …

To enable modem mode on your Hub

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Hub
  2. Open your Internet browser
  3. Log in to your Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser
  4. Enter your Hub settings password. The default password is on the bottom of the Hub.  If you have changed the default password, enter that password instead
  5. Once you've logged in, click Modem Mode on the left
  6. Click the option next to Enable Modem Mode and then click Apply changes

and wait for the base light to turn magenta.

Note: Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1.

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub then power off the Hub.

Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialized (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat 5E/6 cable to the Hub.

Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

This will prevent any conflict problems between the Hub & Router.

then ...

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Router and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Alex80beck
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

So, i carried out the tests you mentioned and these are the results. All cables are cat5e or cat 6.

With the SH3 in router mode and 1 LAN cable attached to my laptop and no other devices 

Ping 9s Download 33.34  upload 36.52 using the virgin server. I switched to another server to test and got Ping 8s Download 34.43 Upload 36.35. 

I carried out a reset on the router with the button on the back of the router and the results were almost identical.

Within the router in the errors section there did seem to be quite an array of errors logged. But im unsure as to what these mean.

So i reset the TP link, put the SH3 into modem mode and connected them as you mentioned.

Again with only 1 connection the speedtest was Ping 7s  Download 234  Upload 37.45, I used another server and the results were similar. I then connected my laptop via the tp link wifi and the results are Ping 7s Download 217 Upload 36.56.

I also disconnected the laptop from the lan and wifi and connected a playstation via Lan. I know its not an ideal test but the results were the same Ping 8s  225 Download Upload 36.44. This was within the playstation network settings not a speedtest via the playstation web.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Alex80beck
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Alex80beck
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

MY BMQ 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Alex,

can you do a speed test with the Hub in Modem Mode and use the same laptop and cable.

then

With the Hub in Modem Mode and the laptop booted into Safe Mode with Networking test again.

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

Alex80beck
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

modem mode results  Ping 7s  Download 183 Upload 37.24 , switching servers gives similar results.

Modem mode in safe mode with networking Ping 10s Download 54.04 Upload 0.0 this was the virgin server. Switched to another local server Ping 10s Download 33.11 Upload 34.54.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

0 Kudos