Menu
liziegarb
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

350mb broadband intermittent slowing down

Hi all - wondering if anyone else here on Virgin broadband has experienced this. We’re on 350mb just broadband Hub 3.0 in modem mode going to ASUS 88U router. Ethernet to PC and WiFi to ipads around house.

For past year we get intermittent slowing down of broadband to the point where Spotify/I player streaming stutters. When I check the speed with ookla it shows download slowing to around 1mb and upload 0.5. Rebooting the modem helps for 30 mins or so. Usually happens round peak time in afternoons and early evenings.

I’ve let the infamous customer service know - they try shift blame to the router - but it seems to run fine and firmware kept up to date on it. I asked for a new hub as I know there have been problems with these but this didn’t sort it. Being intermittent they say it doesn’t show problems their end.

I’ve been with VM 7 years and it’s only been happening in last year or so.

Wondered if anyone had similar problem and was it sorted? Is there any way it could be the router and how would I check this? Could it likely be a problem with a box of theirs on the street and how do I persuade them to look more closely into it?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 350mb broadband intermittent slowing down

It's far, far more likely to be a poor connection from hub to VM's network than a problem with your router.

When the hub has run for 12-48 hours since it was last restarted, connect to the hub log in page, but don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  The reason I say let the hub run for a good few hours is in order to see the error data which is reset to zero on a restart.

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: 350mb broadband intermittent slowing down

Hi @liziegarb

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Apologies for the broadband issues. I've not been able to locate the account from your forum details. Can you provide the details and we can assist further 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos