Menu
djbauer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

350 upgrade to 500?

I've always been on the top speed package, so are we getting the M500 upgrade for free, then the Gig1 when that's launched nationwide? 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 350 upgrade to 500?

Hello

There has been no offical notification from VM that they are upgrading customers from the 350 mbps to 500 mbps and certainly nothing being advertised to upgrade customer on the 500mbps plan either, there is some rumor in the press but this has not been confirmed.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You won't be getting a Gig1 upgrade free anytime in the next few years.  VM's owner Liberty Global have been very clear in their reporting to their own investors that they intend to charge a premium for the Gigabit service.  Which is fair enough, as few residential customers have any need nor the ability to stretch the connection other than doing a speed test.  The way VM see it, their main market for Gig1 is mostly vanity purchasers, and those customers can and will pay more for bragging rights.   

The thought of relying on a buggy Hub 4 struggling to maintain a flakey DOCSIS 3.1 connection over VM's ageing infrastructure fills me with horror, but it's your money and your choice....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

unisoft
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Its not about bragging for all customers though. If you downloads purchased music and iTunes movies for example (or a similar provider) or you work for a media organisation where you  download large media files, then the extra oomph from faster downloads is very nice. Similarly, VM really need to sort upload speeds out for cloud backups (as an example) as they are just lagging behind the other fast FTTP providers.

cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

There has been no offical notification from VM that they are upgrading customers from the 350 mbps to 500 mbps and certainly nothing being advertised to upgrade customer on the 500mbps plan either, there is some rumor in the press but this has not been confirmed.

Regards Mike

You might have missed this morning's news:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/06/virgin-media-uk-refresh-bundles-and-add-600mbps-broadb...

500Mb now available as a standard product and those with the Oomph bundle are to be upgraded to 600Mb.

0 Kudos
unisoft
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

and then creates another question in that existing customers paying for 350 similar to the new service for 500. Even if 500 was out of new customer pricing I think its broadly comparable to what you'd pay as an existing customer for the 350.

Future uplift 350 > 500? Disguised as a free upgrade but usual inflation busting price increase for people on this tier? Inflation so low at the moment, that VM have to justify another yearly 8%+ increase.....who knows though....

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@unisoft wrote:

Its not about bragging for all customers though. If you downloads purchased music and iTunes movies for example (or a similar provider) or you work for a media organisation where you  download large media files, then the extra oomph from faster downloads is very nice. Similarly, VM really need to sort upload speeds out for cloud backups (as an example) as they are just lagging behind the other fast FTTP providers.

Agree - it’s about bandwidth. Not ego or bragging. However said users comments are always to be taken with a pinch of salt and certain disregard. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
djbauer
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upload speed is my main concern really. 
Seeing people in other countries having an identical Down/Up speed, in excess of Virgin speeds, makes me weep lol. 

0 Kudos