Menu
iiainmac963
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

30mb download am I being throttled

Hi,

Last night my speed slowed right down to 30mb. I called support today and they said there is 13 devices connected to the hub so this speed should be expected on a 200mb package with that number of devices connected. Now the 13 devices only 3 - 4 would be used at once. Is this advice correct? I did the test last night as well when only I was using the internet with 1 device and the speed  was the same.  My TV was also buffering quite a bit.

He did say that I had a high usage this month 550gb. It does seem a lot but a couple of large game updates would increase my normal usage.  Is it likely that I am being throttled?

I have done a check and there are no known faults on the line. 

Phil_C1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: 30mb download am I being throttled

Hi, 

Virgin media tech here try disconnecting all devices from wifi including TV and run the speed test by going to Speedtest.net make sure the virgin media server is selected. if this doesnt change try and a pic hole reset which is located on the back of the modem you can normal get a pen inside to push the button make sure you hold this for 50 seconds then you modem should be offline for 10mins+ as it resets.

Post back results and if this worked please mark as a helpful solution 

Cheers,

Phil

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Toj_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

How are you running the speed test via wifi or lan cable? It is always best to run a speed check hardwired.

Also try to run speed tests on multiple devices to see if the results you are getting are consistent. Some devices have poor network cards in them so running a speed test on such devices will not show you the true speed of your internet.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
iiainmac963
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I will do that in a bi . Got to do some gardening😭😭😭😭😭

0 Kudos
GR1993
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the exact same problem. VM state that during peak times you are guaranteed a minimum of about 107Mb during peak times and over the course of 4-5 days I have been monitoring the network speed and have (every single time) noted a speed of between 27Mb and 33Mb, which is more in line with the M50 broadband package (guaranteed minimum of 27Mb during peak). 

I have absolutely no doubt that we are being throttled, it has seriously impacted the household as the M50 package is not suited to our internet usage. 

I am not completely unreasonable, I understand that we're currently living through something unprecedented and would accept a bit of a cutback if it was in the best interest of the network, however, VM has said the network is fine, it is capable of handling the high demand without issue and my monthly bill hasn't changed which is where my understanding and patience ends. That isn't acceptable in my books and as such I will be cancelling my direct debit until such time as the service I receive is in line with the service I am paying for.

AndyTechnician
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I@GR1993  lots of things could be contributing to your speeds being lower. Going through some trouble shooting and diagnostics would be the easiest way to look at resolving your problems. I appreciate how important having a quality service is in the current situation. If you would like to go through some troubleshooting please feel free to message back and I'll be happy to assist

Andy, Field Technician working from home.

GR1993
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy, I would really appreciate that. Would it be better to message you directly? Also happy to wait until Monday if that suits you better?

0 Kudos
AndyTechnician
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Feel free to message me directly and we can leave the thread for the original poster.  I'm working till 6 so happy to help just now if you have the time.

Andy, Field Technician working from home.

GR1993
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@AndyTechnician I have send you a PM

Tommyoh91
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I appreciate the message back I hope the information I have given you has been helpful.

I am a Virgin Media Field Technician. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences with my own set up at home. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos