cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

309Mbps average on M600

ewhitey
Superfast

As above - We're on M600 and after 263 Ookla Speedtests, we have an average of 309Mbps.

I've done everything I know how to including trying new ethernet cables and going from Cat 6 to Cat 7 with no change. Also noted that I had the Super Hub3 in modem mode with three DECOs and had the same numbers but no virtually no wifi issues but now system is monitored we're back to router mode and now even the wifi is dropping with the Deco connections! I also play COD Warzone and the ping for that is an average of 80 maybe but sometimes ranges from 60 to around 140. My PC is also running slow and it's like going back to the eighties when downloading a webpage. I've tried both Cat 6 and 7 direct from Router to PC and Router to PS4Pro and both have similar results in the speed tests.

This has been going on for at least 3 weeks now and I finally called VM about 5 days ago. After the usual plugs, checks, unplugs and reboots, they said they couldn't see an issue and would monitor for 7 days. I've been running a BQM since, as I'm not sure if VM are actually doing anything...Can anyone help?

My BQM as it is presently... 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a971f5e467c3fefa6d4a35ca0e78a34accd4a3e4

43 REPLIES 43

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Your likely being QoS downstream by VM due to high utilisation and you can't get any more speed available.

go to https://fast.com/ when its done click show more info > settings set Parallel connections to 20 min and max save and run again then try 30 and see if you get any faster
---------------------------------------------------------------

02:27 - Everyone's asleep - PS4 in rest mode and ITV on the TIVO. Tried the tests and never really made much difference:

Parallel connections Min 1  Max  8    Download 220Mbps  

Parallel connections Min 20 Max  20  Download 280Mbps

Parallel connections Min 30  Max  30  Download 290Mbps

then... Parallel connections Min 30  Max 30  Download 240Mbps

I ran a few more tests and that's pretty much how they turned out on average. ;/ and very similar results using other speed tests. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

It would now seem you've tried everything you can, and VM are still no closer to identifying a cause.  As I read the thread, you've completely excluded wifi as a causative factor, the PS4 problems show it isn't a PC configuration issue or fault, you've excluded cables, and we can see that the power, noise and modulation all seem good, and although the BQM looks a tad noisy, there's no packet loss obvious.  We know it isn't your hub's configured speed, and we can see that it isn't a network over-utilisation problem.

Not sure how your complaint is coming along, but if you've invoked the minimum speed guarantee then VM have 30 days to get your speed up to the miserable 50% of contract, or agree to release you from any fixed term contract without penalty.  Against that minimum speed guarantee the average is irrelevant - what counts is the minimum.  I'd guess that your alternative options are still much slower than the speeds you're seeing with VM, and therefore you don't want to be released from contract, you just want VM to sort it's act out?

I'm must say I'm not hopeful.  VM are poor at taking ownership, their Ryanair approach to customer service and fault fixing doesn't instil confidence.  There are a tiny number of problems every year that logically should be easily resolved because they are between the hub and the local CMTS, but which the company seems completely incompetent at addressing, and this is looking like one of them.  As and when the 30 day monitoring is up, and assuming that you'd prefer to stay with VM, ask for a substantial further discount rather than being allowed to leave without penalty.  I'd start off with the logic half speed = half current price until (if ever) VM deliver the contracted speeds, although that's being optimistic.  VM might agree to that, probably not, in which case you either accept VM's offer or demand a "deadlock letter" in order to immediately escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, demanding the same plus compensation for the hassle and failure to address the problem.  CISAS might not agree with the half price idea, but they'll certainly give your complaint an independent hearing, and their findings will be binding on VM.

And as soon as VM have finished their 30 day monitoring, get the hub back in modem mode and the Deco's back in router mode - you've heard all the VM excuses for the hub's crap wifi, you might as well enjoy the benefits of the decent router and mesh system you've paid for.

Hi there

Thank you very much for your help and reply.
The other forum members have been very helpful as well and yes it seems we've covered everything maybe - it's well appreciated.

Re the 30 days there's a bit less than a week to go and having spoken to retentions mid September is the leave date - No penalty anyway as we were out of contract.
You're correct - we don't want to go we just wanted it fixed but VM to be blunt have not helped one bit as pretty much all the troubleshooting has been done by me and with the support of you wonderful people. It is frustrating looking at other contracts as the speeds elsewhere are very low by comparison and even some are far less than what i have at the moment!

One last thing I was going to try was another router as I only had the Hub3 in router mode only no DECOS, Hub 3 in router mode with DECOS and Hub3 in modem modem with DECOS as main feed. If I try another router (ordered from Amazon), will that interfere with the 30 day monitor?

Many thanks 😉