Menu
ash2050
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

2g dropping speed

Hi,

I’ve  recently been having problems with my 2G WiFi as the speed (at times) drops down to around 0.5mbs but the speed when testing on 5G WIFi is 200mbs.

The speed through Ethernet and 5G are fine but I only seem to be having problems with 2G.

The 2G speed drop is not at a particular time but happens sporadically.

I live in a semi detached house and there is currently no one living next door.

I have tried turning smart channel optimisation on and off, changing the channel from auto to manual but it has not cured the problem.

When logging into hub 3.0 settings and doing a diagnostic check, it states I have a problem with my WiFi connections but doesn’t tell me precisely what it is.

I have not added new devices to my WiFi recently.  

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2g dropping speed

There may be a fault developing on the Hubs 2.4 band but the 2.4GHz band is very congested these days (more so in "lockdown times") and if you are surrounded by many other 2.4 SSID's - you may be struggling. Have you tried using a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

Have you renamed the two bands SSID's to know they are separated ?

TBH... if the ethernet connection are all spot on - I would suggest doing what I and many other users on here do - ditch the VM Hub wifi and use your own better quality wireless equipment. I have done that for the last ~20 years and have never had a single wifi only related problem.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ash2050
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

The 2g and 5g are both separate, that’s how I know the speed on the 2g drops really slow when I do a speed test, whereas the speed on the 5g at the same time is fast.

I have not used the WiFi analyser but will do.

So do you mean using the VM Hub as a modem only and buying an external router?

Any recommendations on the router?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Some comments I have posted before are below as a starter.

Get either.....
(1) A Mesh System, (2) A Wireless router, (3) A Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

I would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users.  A Triband system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a good, decent introductory wireless router but it 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system.

You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also just be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. And be sure to connect first time with the recommended sequence (just ask here).

Recently, just as an example... two of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Their M4 system for smaller properties and M9's for Triband are also well regarded on here. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s) - on the other hand some people find a 2-pack sorts it for them and dont need the third!

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ash2050
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks 

0 Kudos