cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

250Mbps consistently dropping to 25Mpbs

balloonfire
Joining in

My contract is for 250Mbps internet but speeds are consistently lower, often around 25Mbps. This is unacceptable when requiring high speeds to work from home.

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

First call 0800 561 0061 - use the automated service to see if there is a local service issue.

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your M250 subscription.

The speed any WiFi device draws data at is limited by its data needs / technical abilities / location.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello balloonfire.

Thank you for letting us know about the slow speeds you  are experiencing.

Can I please ask if you have just joined us? If so, was this a self installation or did we attend and set you up?

I did try and run a test on your Hub from here but wasn't able to do so.

So I can look at this in more detail, I will send you a private message to gain account access after passing security.

If you can check your logo at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

I've been with Virgin for about 18 months now, it was set up by a virgin technician and the speeds were consistently good for the first year. 6 months ago we entered a new contract (continuing at the 250mbps rate) but speeds seem to have significantly worsened since this new contract. This is with the same usage as during the initial 12 months. Again there have been no changes to the router itself so I wonder if we are being throttled somehow

Thanks for explaining balloonfire.

I was just trying to narrow down the reasons for the slow speeds.

You could also try a pinhole reset on the hub. Keep the button pressed in for at least 20 seconds. Allow the hub to settle and run another speed test.

I will  send you a private message anyway to take a more detailed look if the reset doesn't help

If you can check your logo at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello balloonfire.

Thankyou for those details.

Sorry it wasn't possible to help you with it being a VirginMediaIE account.

We really do hope you get this resolved.

The best way now is to use these contact options

Regards 

Gareth_L