Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

20Mbps maximum on M200

Hi,

Broadband download speeds are well below expected standard. Impacting download updates on COD in particular, although other people we know (including those on VM) have not had an issue. Normally connect XBox via Powerline but to limit out any issues, have wired xbox direct to router and shut down all wireless devices. This had very little impact beyond allowing a short term increase to around 28Mbps before dropping back to well under 20Mbps.

Have checked and no service issue reported.

Please advise next steps

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 20Mbps maximum on M200

It depends how busy the Xbox servers are and what server you’re being load balanced into.

If you run the speedtest under the Xbox network settings what speeds do you get?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

XBox Speedtest reports 205Mbps but the actual download performance is not even close... I assume that the speedtest uses a token test download / upload file (as per normal Microsoft speed test) so not sure how representative it is. This issue has been on-going for some time (and estimated 8 hours for 30Gb was the same with the previous update)... 

Additionally performance remains the same despite pausing / restarting the download or rebooting device (which I would have expected to have triggered connecting to a different load balanced service if the original was struggling so badly)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So you’re getting full speeds then.

You’ll never download at 200Mbps.

You need to divide by 8 to get your download speeds (megabytes per second) from your bandwidth (megabits per second).

So 200/8 is 25, 20-25 megabytes is correct download speeds. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Except the performance I'm getting in download is not 20Mb/s but less than 20Mbps... hence it estimating 4 hours for the remaining 20Gb of the download (after running for 3 hours) rather than the 25 mins it should take at the Virgin Advertised speed of 213Mbps (26Mb/s)...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So what speeds are you getting then?

And again it depends on what download server you’re being load balanced to.

I downloaded mine this morning and it was done and dusted in about 15 minutes.

You're getting full speeds as shown by the Xbox speedtest so the issue isn’t your bandwidth.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well uncannily since raising this issue, the download performance has improved to over 100Mbps... strange eh (I wonder if there was some throttling in place)... Thanks for the guidance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not from VM - they don’t throttle or manage connections 

0 Kudos