Menu
borris1972
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

200mb line but slow download speeds

i recently upgraded to 200mb from 100mb to improve download speeds. Im not seeing any difference. When i run a speed test from a device over wifi at max signal strength next to mu hub3, im lucky to get 30mb speed which is no where near the minimum guaranteed speed of  107 Mbps. Please advise.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200mb line but slow download speeds

Hello

The minimum speed is not measured over wireless as there are too many variables that can affect the wireless connection, the minimum is too the hub so the best way to test this is to use a Ethernet wired connection direct to the hub. Have a look at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-speed-policy

What speeds are you getting with a wired connection ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
borris1972
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. This is showing as 200mb. I really didnt think that being next to the wifi router with my wifi device would still show slow download speeds but you live and learn. Might be the superhub3 not good with wifi? Might have to look at a 3rd party wireless and have router in modem mode.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yeah the hub 3 doesn't have the best wireless around.

A lot of it will depend on the device and also what frequency the device is connecting too as 2.4ghz is the slowest but has the greatest range, where the 5ghz is the fastest but the range isnt so good, as well as the 5ghz signal will drop more when the signal has to pass through wall.

One this that may help is turning off the Channel Optimization.

Login into the hub at http://192.168.0.1 using the details from the base of the hub on a sticker.

When in goto "Advanced Settings", "Wireless", then "Wireless Signal", place a tick in circle where it says "Disable Channel Optimization" and then click on "Apply Changes".Hub 3.0 2019-04-24 16-24-06.png

You can then also change the channels on the wireless here buy changing to manual and choose a channel that isnt congested, my recoommendations are channel 1,6 or 11 for the 2.4Ghz.

Best to running a tool to check what channels are used a lot like Wifi Analyzer for Andorid.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

borris1972
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

engineer replaced wireless router and getting full 200mb+ download speed over wifi.

Many thanks

0 Kudos