Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

200Mbps on Gig1 Fibre Broadband

My new Gig1 Fibre Broadband account started on 24/10/2020 but i am only getting download speeds of 200Mbps even on a Cat 8 ethernet cable. Also the engineer did not check for blackspots in the house and did not leave me any wifi expanders. I tried to sort this out yesterday but Virgin asked me to ring technical support. I tried three times but the number kept hanging up. I tried the next day and waited for 45 minutes on the phone with no answer. I have tried using the "Message Us" function and have waited for 5h for a response today. I am an NHS worker and need fast broadband speeds for work purposes. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200Mbps on Gig1 Fibre Broadband

What speed do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike

This is what I get on wifi

vdiwakar_0-1604682914780.png

This is what I get on a Cat 8 cable. I dont have a cat 5/6 cable

vdiwakar_1-1604682997026.png

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 but I'm not sure how to find out what it is capable of. Thanks for replying

Vin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I have just seen that the screenshots have not uploaded

On the Cat 8 cable (I dont have a Cat 5/6 cable) to speed to the Virgin Media Hub 4 is 1043 Mbps and the speed to computer is 271 Mbps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Does the Surface Pro have an ethernet Port or are you using a USB adaptor ?

With the Surface Pro connected to the Hub with the ethernet cable.

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what does it report the 'connection speed’ as for the cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying so promptly Mike.

The Surface Pro 7 is connected via a Cat 8 ethernet cable and a 1000 Mbps ethernet-USB-C adapter.

On the hub settings, it says that the connection speed is 1000 Mbps

Thank you for your help!

Vin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your Surface Pro is very capable of using anything that the Hub 4 can deliver.

As for the LAN speed on ethernet cable, the Hub 4 seems to deliver random speeds depending whether it is a cloudy day or complete sunshine.

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike

So the question then is whether I need to purchase an powerline adapter so that I can use an ethernet cable in my upstairs office/bedroom for work and a wifi expander like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07349P1TX/?coliid=I3U5ZOWQ1J79MO&colid=T9317YTI7E9P&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_li... 

I am assuming that you have to use the Hub 4 and there is no point in purchasing a different router?

I can't work out whether VM should have checked the wifi signal when they installed the Hub 4 and left me some wifi expanders?

I can claim a limited amount on work expenses but am obviously keen not to waste it on something VM should have provided or that wont be compatible with their system

I have been unable to get them to reply on this forum, on their message function or by telephone.

I'm ever so grateful for your time and expertise.

Vin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That should do the job.

The only problem that I can see is the waiting time for it.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos