Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200M Internet But Only Getting 90M

GarethD
Tuning in

Hi Guys,

I’m new to this so please bare with me!

I pay for 200m internet but the past week or so the max speed I’m getting on the speedtest app is  80 or 90m.

I had the same issue a few months ago so an engineer came out & fitter a booster & I was definitely getting 200m, but now it’s dropped again. 

I’ve tried all the obvious solutions such as checking connections, resetting the router etc but no joy!

is there anything else I can try?

many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi - thanks for the reply - the issue has now been resolved.

I called Virgin & the guy I spoke to said that the 5 GHz had somehow disconnected so my Internet was running solely on 2.4 GHz, he turned it back on & Bobs your uncle! Back on 200m!

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

This by wire or wireless?

do you have a hub 2?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi - thanks for your help - it’s a Hub 3

My router, Virgin TV box, PlayStation 4 are all connected by Ethernet cable, but the app I’m using (speedtest) which is telling me I’m only getting 90m is on my iPhone 11 which is wireless.

Thanks 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds.

So, you need to do a wired test, direct to the Hub, with a known good Cat 6a cable.  Use a PC/Laptop with a gigabit capable NIC.

Also you could try a factory reset on the Hub as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

What speed shows when you use www.samknows.com/realspeed ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi - thanks for the reply - the issue has now been resolved.

I called Virgin & the guy I spoke to said that the 5 GHz had somehow disconnected so my Internet was running solely on 2.4 GHz, he turned it back on & Bobs your uncle! Back on 200m!

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated!