Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

200 Mbps service deteriorates in afternoon with reduction in speed and disconnects

Hi

I had been having increasing problems with our 200 Mbps service which has been slow in the afternoons with frequent disconnects (Area 24).  Then last Tuesday evening (3 Nov) the service became very slow with significant packet loss.  I ran all the usual tests which said everything was okay and VM's service status webpage was indicating all was fine.  However, the following day the service status webpage finally acknowledged the problem and the recorded message on the help line said it was a very complex problem which would take some time to fix so I left my mobile number to be alerted when the fault had been fixed.

It's now 5 days later and the service is still variable but the service status webpage for broadband is saying everything is fine.  However, when I ring customer services the pre-recorded message says the problem is still being worked on and I haven't received a text message yet saying it has been fixed.

What on earth is going on - why are there different messages on the webpage and the phone line and more importantly when is the problem going to be fixed?

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 200 Mbps service deteriorates in afternoon with reduction in speed and disconnects

Are you trying the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 ?

This usually tells you of the more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers >1000’s of customers). It may give you more info.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200 Mbps service deteriorates in afternoon with reduction in speed and disconnects

I have been accessing this service through the 0345 454 1111 number and selecting the various options to get the service status.  Thank you for providing this service status number - it's a much quicker way of getting to the same point!  I hadn't appreciated that there could be local issues with the broadband service that wouldn't be shown on the service status webpage because it affects a smaller number of people  

I rang the number you mentioned and it is still saying there are intermittant issues and that it is a really complex problem VM are in the process of fixing.  Is there any way of finding out how long VM anticipate it will take to fix?  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is there any way of finding out how long VM anticipate it will take to fix?  

All faults have a resolution date and for most faults these are pretty accurate, forum staff may be able to advise when they pick up your post.  However, if it is a network congestion ("over-utilisation") fault then the fix date may have been plucked out of the air*, with no actions actually planned other than for VM to sit back, keep taking the money, and hope the complaints go away.

You can usually check for over-utilisation by running a Broadband Quality Monitor. Let it run for 24 hours, and if the result is good from half midnight to about 8 am, but poor during waking hours, that's almost always over-utilisation.

* Or somewhere else.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link to Broadband Quality Monitor.  I have been hunting around for something like this so I didn't need to run ping software on my PC.

I think the fact that the service is normally okay in the morning and then gets worse in the late afternoon suggest to me that it is over utilisation and therefore VM will need to upgrade this part of the network.  The most difficult thing to deal with is the disconnects which prevent stable connections to the work server when working from home and the impact it is having on Zoom calls. I have installed a 4G router as a backup so it is still possible to work from home but it is completely ridiculous that I am having to go to these lengths because my Virgin Media service is so unstable.  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Post up a "link" to the BQM once the first 24h data set has appeared.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to that, post a link to a shared BQM graph, as the URL for the image you see when logged in won't work for anybody else.  If you choose a live graph, you can post it now, and when we have a look in 18-24 hours it'll be displaying the latest 24 hours of data.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Here's the live graph 

It looks like there was significant packet loss between 7pm yesterday and 7am this morning with increased latency over the same period.  Looks a bit odd the way it suddenly seems to improve at 7am this morning - any idea why that might be? 

I'm still hearing the pre-recorded message on the service status number indicating that they are still working on this 'really complex issue'.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The automated service status message now indicates that VM are looking to improve the network in our area and consequently there will be an interruption to the broadband and TV service for a short time with it returning to normal by 11:45am.  This seems to be supported by the BQM graph which shows a total loss of service from 12:30am to 08:30am this morning.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that the broadband service is a little more stable from now on!

Thanks for all the advice given so far on this forum - really appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Despite VM saying they expect to have fixed the problem by 11:45am today, we are still experiencing very slow speeds and and a high number of connection issues this evening.  The latest BQM Graph shows lots of dropped packets which I assume is down to VM's local network not coping with the high volume of traffic. 

Could someone from Virgin Media on this forum please let me know when this is going to be fixed please?  This has been going on for some time now and is causing serious problems when trying to work from home during the lockdown.  I would also be grateful if someone from VM could help me get more data on my VM SIM card so I can continue to use this as a backup until the broadband service is fixed.

0 Kudos