Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

20-40 Mbps for weeks on 200Mbps connection

I've been getting speeds of the order of 40Mbps or less since April 27th on my connection in Edinburgh area 11. I've also been getting sporadic complete cuts to connection daily (unpredictable times) of the order of 5-10 minutes. Virgin report no problems locally and the test brings up nothing.

These speeds are measured directly from my router, removing the variable of wifi (which I regularly test and is of bandwidth exceeding broadband always, so not a bottleneck anyway). I have graphs below of the average speed from speedtest results for the whole period to demonstrate that this drop from a supposed 200Mbps to >40Mbps has been pretty consistent for over two weeks, and also indicate the near-daily chops in broadband connection.

I've tried:

1. rebooting the cable modem, leaving off for a period of 10 minutes or more

2. rebooting my router (Asus RT-AC88U) similarly

3. swapping all cables

Edit: new here, tried twice to attach pics and they don't show. They show fine in the post previewer. Clue please how to fix? Thanks.

Standard speedtest here attached, and graphs of speed for 2 weeks+ direct from my router - also SuperHub output:

:SpeedtestSpeedtestRouter speeds last 30 daysRouter speeds last 30 daysSuperHub DownSuperHub DownSuperHub UpSuperHub UpSuperHub Network LogSuperHub Network Log

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: 20-40 Mbps for weeks on 200Mbps connection

Posts need to approved by the Mods. Takes a bit of time.

In the meantime. Set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM.
If you just see a wall of "red" then your Hub is not accepting the "pings" - make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John for both bits of advice. I'll be patient on the images then if they'll appear when approved.
I'll look into the ThinkBroadband monitor too. My router (Merlin/amtm) tools should do all this and does indeed measure latency etc., but if the above is a recognised tool here, fair enough.

I marked this a helpful answer and then panicked that it therefore looked like this call didn't need more attention from Virgin - it does! Sorry for newness.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Your connection is pants. Downstream Signal Noise Ratios are way too low, 2 channels not even locked on and postRS error counts through the roof - looks like noise ingress and that will need a tech visit to sort out.
Either wait on here for help or call it in as a fault - the UK center is still picking up.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
Your connection is pants. 

Thanks - relief to get that confirmed as it seems like pants to me. I tried in vain for about an hour earlier to get some support, so if I just wait here is someone official likely to help out?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Possibly but it seems a bit random - I would try calling it in as well calling early morning ~08.00 is best - try then and also at other times - a lot of people on here are reporting getting through ok.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this, really helpful. I see the two bad channels now. This change to bad happened after a reboot of the modem after problems, with hindsight maybe associated with them upgrading me automatically from 150Mbps to 200Mbps - but I'm guessing. My service has been pretty solid for years before this.

The problem I have is that my house is "shielded" for lockdown due to ill-health and so an engineer call would be problematic. This kind of problem suddenly occurring - might a cable modem swap fix it? A new coaxial cable to the wall? Or something else I could try myself without an engineer in the house?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It will take a visit to rectify "cabling" connection issues but there are a few things to try to see if it might be a hub issue.

Do a pinhole factory reset of the Hub - hold the button in firmly for 60 seconds and leave it 5' and see if that clears the issue.

If not you could try for a Hub change - try the "free" SH1/2/2ac upgrade/replacement scheme - see the link below - as they are trying to get everyone onto Hub3's.

If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message, then come back here for more assistance as the VM folk on here can organise it for you too.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

Also, in the meantime. Set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM.
If you just see a wall of "red" then your Hub is not accepting the "pings" - make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John - Broadband Quality Monitor now set up.

I'll try the pinhole reset today. I run the SuperHub in Modem Mode and run my own router - I assume if I reset all I'll have to do is connect to 192.168.100.1 and turn Modem Mode back on and I'll be up and running?

I do indeed get the "Ooops" from that page. Do I need to do anything more than keep an eye out here for someone from Virgin to respond?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes the reset will take it back to router mode so you will have to go through the router reconnection rigmarole again.

I always get oopse'd too ! Either call it in or wait till a VM person on here offers to sort the swap for you.

Let us know asap how its looking after the reset - and post up the BQM. and also the down channels data again.

If there is no improvement we need to get a VM tech to take a look.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos