Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

2.4ghz slow speeds but 5ghz good ?

Hi I'm new to Virgin I have 350mbs package 5ghz I'm getting 250 to 300mbps which im happy with at the moment but the 2.4ghz im getting between 0.1mbps and 10mbps this is causing an issue for remote logging in as my laptop does not support 5ghz wifi and im not near an ethernet port. I've tried resetting hub ect but no joy any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 2.4ghz slow speeds but 5ghz good ?

buy a usb 5ghz wireless adapter.
5ghz is always going to be better than 2.4ghz.

2.4ghz shares 3 non overlapping channels with everyone in your area (not just your network) so if the wifi int he are is busy you'll always see bad speeds

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi all.

Can I post a follow up query/point. I searched this forum for this exact question. I'm having the same issue. 2.4ghz I get 30-40 mb, 5ghz I get 260-290mb. My query /point is when I had the hub 3 I never had an issue with 2.4ghz wifi. Both 2.4 and 5ghz had exactly the same speeds. But since getting the hub 4 devices that use 2.4 like my Roku and security cameras struggling. Plus it keeps shutting off altogether at least a dozen times a day. Surely if I never had an issue with the hub 3 that suggests there's a problem with the hub 4.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You won’t get more than 100Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band on the hub 3. Ever.

Both the Hub3 and hub4 have poor (cheap) WiFi antenna etc.

Put it into Modem Mode with your own router or mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok I bow to your knowledge however it still doesn't explain why I never had an issue with my Roku and security devices on hub 3 which can only link to 2.4ghz. By the way am I right in thinking in the hub 3 settings it was a choice of 2.4/5ghz and just 5ghz, whereas in the hub 4 settings it only allows 2.4ghz and 5ghz . Maybe that would explain why when connected to the 2.4 channel on hub 3 it showed 260mb on the speed test. If not then I really don't know how to explain how i was getting those speeds. I really don't want to get a router for two reasons. One they can be expensive and two it would grieve me to pay out for something that wasn't an issue with hub 3. It's not like I asked to have a hub 4 either, they just sent it out to me and told me to change over to it. By the way the Roku device is two meters away from my hub so it's not a range problem. I can't go back to the hub 3 apparently as they want everyone on certain speeds on the hub 4. So I suppose my final questions are do I escalate this with VM? Should I live with it hoping they'll be an update that will fix it?  Is the hub 4 worse than the hub 3 or does my hub 4 have an issue? I know this is long winded but it's really got on my nerves. I had my hub 3 set up exactly the way I needed it with 5ghz for my gaming and 2.4ghz for the rest including guests mobile phones with some devices on ethernet. Now the 2.4 doesn't work. Annoying. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It’s normal behaviour for Virgin hubs full stop.
The Hub4 is no better than the Hub3. In any way, shape or form. 

You can have the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz broadcasting on the same SSID or you can rename the SSID’s to split them into 2 separate bands.

You can also disable the bands independently so you can run 2.4Ghz only, 5Ghz only or 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously with either the same SSID or different ones. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos