Menu
louiscronin
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

2.4Ghz – Slow Speeds

Hi everyone,

I have the 350Mbps package which is great on my main computer. Consistently getting speed of 380Mbps+ connected to the 5Ghz network.

For some of my equipment such as SONOS and the PS4 that can only use the 2.4Ghz band/network, the speeds are below 10Mbps. 

Even if I connect my iPhone to the 2.4Ghz network, standing next to the Hub, I can only obtain 25Mbps.

I have ordered the WiFi Boosters to see if these can help. I'm sure this issue has been answered before but would appreciate any help. I know the 2.4Ghz band can support 400Mbps+

Thanks
Louis

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2.4Ghz – Slow Speeds

The 2.4ghz band is slow - i max out at 30Mbps on a 1GB line but get circa 600Mpbs on the 5Ghz band. 

Getting a booster won’t help - it will just extend the already poor signal about.

You need to get a mesh system or your own router and run the Hub in Modem Mode. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

the bosters will not help it will make it worse. It just another wireless device clogging up the spectrum
0 Kudos
louiscronin
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The WiFi Boosters arrived today. I've fitted them and I wanted to report back.

In my opinion, they have made a dramatic difference. The PS4 which can only operate on 2.4Ghz band has increased its download speed from 4/5Mbps to around 24Mbps. iPhones are not switching to 2.4Ghz from the 5Ghz network, which was causing them to slow down.

The main reason I had order them was due to the low speeds on the PS4. I appreciate every situation is different, but for me, it worked and I'm really happy 🙂 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If they were free that's great. If you are paying the £3/mo charge it isn't. Those monies would be better spent on getting a better solution.

Stopping the phones switching bands is easily doable anyway in the Hub settings by just renaming/separating the 2 SSID's.

My lad uses the PS4 (and gaming computer) and would never consider using a wifi connection - ethernet cables all the way. Look at options for that - its not that difficult really.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos